New tune: let me know what you think.....

hmm. some nice sounds there. dated, but i like that...
but - sounds technically good, but sounds like something that you get on the tutorial parts of a Guitar Magazine CD. as if it has been dumbed down for someone to learn. obviously not a terrible thing, but if you compare an original song with a guitar mag cover, you'll know what i mean - note for note perfect match, but something ultimately missing...
out of interest, cos i like some of the tones on the lead guitar, what amps/guitar/effects/etc did you use on the guitars?

brummygit said:
hmm. some nice sounds there. dated, but i like that...
but - sounds technically good, but sounds like something that you get on the tutorial parts of a Guitar Magazine CD. as if it has been dumbed down for someone to learn. obviously not a terrible thing, but if you compare an original song with a guitar mag cover, you'll know what i mean - note for note perfect match, but something ultimately missing...
out of interest, cos i like some of the tones on the lead guitar, what amps/guitar/effects/etc did you use on the guitars?

Hey, thanks for listening.

I used my Charvel Traditional with Duncan pickups into a Randall Rm4 preamp using the "Plexi" module. From there I went into the effects return on my Uberschall. I miced my 1960b cab with a 57 into an AudioBuddy mic pre into an Echo MiaMidi soundcard. Tracked with Sonar 3 Producer Edition. For effects I just used some plug in delay that came with Sonar.

This actually started out as kind of an amp demo for the Randall, but I decided to just finish it and call it a "song" :)

.....this kinda takes me back to one of those "YES YOU CAN PLAY GUITAR!" books. i swear if i have to do another lead riff or lick in slow motion I'm going to scream...sounds good though

seriously, i like the tone.

IMHO, could you re-record some of the lead parts through the song so they're less of a 'perfect technical showcase'? its like, i watched this video by michael angelo (THAT is some SERIOUS burning!) and whilst i was amazed by the performance, it didnt move me much musically.
love him or hate him, richie sambora (bon jovi) is a good example of someone that can throw in fast shred playing mixed in with more emotional playing, just so the listener never gets 'worn out' or lost. (solo on 'Dry County' is a good example too).

man, im waffling....too early for me.....

brummygit said:
seriously, i like the tone.

IMHO, could you re-record some of the lead parts through the song so they're less of a 'perfect technical showcase'? its like, i watched this video by michael angelo (THAT is some SERIOUS burning!) and whilst i was amazed by the performance, it didnt move me much musically.
love him or hate him, richie sambora (bon jovi) is a good example of someone that can throw in fast shred playing mixed in with more emotional playing, just so the listener never gets 'worn out' or lost. (solo on 'Dry County' is a good example too).

man, im waffling....too early for me.....

It wasn't my intention for the leads to be a "perfect technical showcase", but it you think they are.....excellent! :) I kind of wanted a flowing melodic type thing going on. I guess it maybe did sound a bit generic.

Back