New tune - country flavor

Good job Alan, I heard some John Prine in there with just a touch of Jimmy B. Good clean recording, I didn't hear anything fighting for space. Good vocal treatment with the b/g's. Also liked the guitars in the break. Well done.

bd

I don't hear any mudiness. In fact it sounds very crisp to me. Maybe if anything the acoustics are a little too crisp and could use a little low end. But that might just be a preference thing.

Kick drum might be a little thuddy. If so, just slightly.

Great song with a cool melody. Like the background vocals a lot. Enjoyed the guitar break.
Good stuff!

crispy

I have to go along with Fprod the acoustic sounds good and crisp
also a commanding rhythm being produced by the acoustic.
The bass compliments the acoustic in establishing that all-important country feel.

Good effort :)
I am assuming this is not the final mix.

bdbd - My country influences are primarily from secondary sources (Beatles, Elvis Costello, with a dash of Gram Parsons and Lucinda Williams for authenticity). I'll have to check out Prine as I've heard a lot of good things about him.

fprod - Thanks for the comments. I boosted the lows on the drums for some reason and kept it. I might bring it down on a second mix.

Hevy - re: final mix. That depends on what all you guys say. I almost always come away with something to improve upon so I'll see what other feedback I get and incorporate in a "best I can do with limited talent" mix.

you did a good job recording the parts. The guitar and bass are clear. The drums are up enough in ths mix too. Kudos on the singing man. The only thing I might suggest is not to let the bass and bass drum be quite as busy, or... you could add a guitar that only plays the backbeat with the snare on 2 and 4, like
1 strum 3 strum 1 strum 3 strum. That puts a real dominant timing in it that makes you want to tap your foot to it.

yeah those acoustics do sound nice and crisp.. at first I thought the harmonies were off, but I listened again and they're not.. I liked the first half of the doubled solo but the second half sounded strange.. almost would have liked a cleaner solo sound or even acoustic.. either way, good song.. pretty catchy..

b.sabbath

Man, the Eagles come to mind on the acoustics...I think it's a great sound, personally.

Yeah, the vocal parts kinda' remind me of CS&N...with maybe a little "Y" thrown in there too. I like the tune.

2 crits:
1. I think the backups are too loud. Maybe not too loud in relation to the lead vocal, but ALL the vocals just kinda' get too loud when the backups come in, so you might duck 'em a bit?

2. I REALLY want that solo to resolve somehow.

You're pretty diverse...I like that. Have a great day.

Chris

Yup, acoustics sound nice 'n' crisp! Great job there. I didn't hear any muddiness. I like the lead tone, harmonized nicely there too. Only suggestion there is that it sounded a tad mono-ish... I wanted to hear a little more separation, maybe a hint of delay to open it a tiny bit.

My only nit is that some of the vocals sound a little too pitchy in spots to me. I don't think the vocs need to be (or even should be) spot on here... Elvis Costello sings a touch flat all the time and it's part of the charm.

Still excited about the HRC collab, man! I have a few arrangement ideas I need to put down and send off to ya. I'm such a lazy fuck.

Chrisharris - Well, I recorded this and mixed it quick and have not had a chance to give it the "listen loud in the car" test. I'm not surprised about your comment on the backing vocals. I may have gotten carried away with momentum in the chorus, which I really like. This is why this forum is so awesome; we are almost always too close to these things to see bad judgement calls. I'll fix that. Not sure about your solo comment. I thought it was almost 'too' resolved, meaning obvious and cliched. If you have any more detailed thoughts I'd love to hear them. I do take advice. Just ask Pedullist. I changed an entire song based on his suggestion, which I recognized immediately as the best way to go.

Pglewis - On the HRC, I suspect that you're going to take an ordinary tune and really make it into something beyond what I saw. I'm very glad you got saddled with me! On the pitchiness, I'm guessing you heard it in the backing vocals, where I missed the boat slightly and was too lazy to fix it because the rest sounded ok. What an 'artiste' I am! If it was in the lead I think its one of those things that I'll probably live with because I thought the performance was good (for me) and I'm not realistically going to get it just right. EC, obviously a big influence on me, used to be of the same school, though lately he's gotten more prescious about his singing.

Back