New tubes mean fresh scents...

Toki987

Rock Steady
My matched quad of 6L6's and preamp tubes came in today. I can`t wait to smell them when they get hot, it's erotic even!!! :)

Last edited:
It's funny, but the power tubes stink so bad on the new Twin-Amp I got a couple of years back that I never used the amp. Every time I turned it on that Russian Bakelite started stinking up the house so bad that I turned it off.

I put the amp back in the studio and haven't had it out since I bought it.

The first tube amp I got, back in college, had little plastic jackets on the tubes to protect them in shipping. Not knowing any better, I turned it on and started jamming.

Mom was like, "Is that thing burning?"

dirtythermos said:
The first tube amp I got, back in college, had little plastic jackets on the tubes to protect them in shipping. Not knowing any better, I turned it on and started jamming.

Mom was like, "Is that thing burning?"

Great story! :) :) :)

The new tubes are nice. The JJ's sound really phat and warm, and the amp doesn't seem to be working quite as hard and no breakup, although they seem to not have the high end push the original Fender tubes from '77 had.
Another big plus is that I don`t get the shit shocked out of me anymore.

In case anybody wonders why it took me so long to change the tubes...
This amp sat in a storage building for over 20 years without being played through. I used Acoustic,and GK's for quite a few yrs before deciding to go back to tubes.

Last edited:
Toki987 said:
The new tubes are nice. The JJ's sound really phat and warm, and the amp doesn't seem to be working quite as hard and no breakup, although they seem to not have the high end push the original Fender tubes from '77 had.
Another big plus is that I don`t get the shit shocked out of me anymore.

In case anybody wonders why it took me so long to change the tubes...
This amp sat in a storage building for over 20 years without being played through. I used Acoustic,and GK's for quite a few yrs before deciding to go back to tubes.
Toki,I told ya that that thing was a pile of shit and you shouldnt waste
your money re-tubing it!My offer of $50.00 is still on the table.

Back