NEW tracks for you to check out!

u2bonoman

These are Pop/Rock songs written by me that I have produced/recorded/mixed for my friend Daley... Please let me know what you think!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/daleymusic.htm

The new songs are called "I Still Wait" and "Beautiful". And of course, you can listen to the new mix of "Wondering" as well (written by Daley and me).

These were recorded using the following:
Sonar 3: PE
M-Audio Delta 1010
DBX 286A Pre-amp
EV PL95 Dynamic Mic
Yamaha acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Roland PC-70 Controller
Spectrasonic Atmosphere &
Drums on Demand

I really like the sound of these! My only complaint would be with the vocals, but I'm not sure if it might just be a performance issue instead of a recording issue. The softer vocals sound great, but they sound rather strained or forced to me when they start to get heavier. It could just be the vocalist is forcing it or straining, which would explain it. :) Or maybe there's something else going on that more knowledgeable folks here might be able to pinpoint.
Good stuff!

Overall, very good songs. Some of the better stuff I've heard here.

My comments are similiar for "I Still Wait": the lead vocalist sounds like he's really stretching to hit the higher notes. The volume/presence of his vocals in the mix seem to fade out when he's doing this. Maybe a compressor and/or reverb can help with some of this. Also, maybe pan the harmony backing vocals to left/right a bit to fill out the vocal sound more. I almost wanted to hear the harmony more but it seemed buried behind the lead too much.

The lead/slide gtr solo (sounds a bit out of tune or missed notes) toward the middle/end of the solo.

The drums sound pretty good (I like the snare), but they could be panned a bit wider. The ride cymbal seemed a bit too dominant and panned too much in center. Try a stereo maximizer plug-in?

I really like the lush, Atmosphere strings plugged in here. Sounds great. However, they seem to cut out a bit too early when you break back into the chorus. Maybe have them decay a bit longer.

Not trying to nitpick here, but this a good song that only needs a small bit of "cleanup" (my perfectionism speaking through here). Great job!

Comments for "Beautiful":

Didn't like this one as much. Seemed to drag along, versus having more "energy" like your other two songs. The recording quality overall seems pretty good, and the vocals do work better here.

One thing I didn't get was the echoing pad sound closing the song. It seemed to be just "stuck in there" versus supporting the melody or other part of the song somewhere else. Maybe build that sound into the song earlier so it makes more sense at the end. Plus, the rhythm of it seemed a bit off, more like it needed to be a "DA Da da da..." echo versus a "da DA da DA da DA..." echo. Make sense?

Good stuff overall though. Keep it up.

Recording question for you:

Are you mic'ing your guitars (electric) from an amp or using an amp modeler (POD, V-AMP, etc.) I like some of your distortion sounds.

Hoodoo said:
Recording question for you:

Are you mic'ing your guitars (electric) from an amp or using an amp modeler (POD, V-AMP, etc.) I like some of your distortion sounds.

Hey, thanks for you your comments! I really appreciate them! I am only mic'ing the acoustics, while recording the electrics through my Boss GT6.

About "I Still Wait" - the guitar solo was meant to sound a bit 'out of tune' to kinda make it sound more demented.. haha.

About "Beautiful" - I understand what you are saying about the closing echo.. It really was just a thought of just throwing it in there. So many songs just end with the same old distorted guitar ringing out, so I thought this would be different and fit with the strangeness of the song. Maybe not a good idea I guess..haha.

My wife doesn't like this tune at all really, except for the pads. She thinks the vocals are rather crappy, maybe too dreary. Do you think the melody should be changed in the verses?? Any more ideas you have, I appreciate!

So far I prefer Beautiful over I still wait. But I sorta like that melow dark kind of stuff. But I also think his singing is more "on" than in the other. I also like the mix better. Good job with fading the drums n bass into the pad at the beginning. Guitar solo is better. I didn't really care for the solo on the other as again, it just sounded off to me.

I'm taking a guess that his singing style is influenced a bit by Bon Jovi ? Sure sounds like it anyway.

Good job and thanks for the listen.

I think they sound really good. But I agree with the straining vocal comment. Also, the kick in "I Still Wait" is driving me NUTS. Not sure if it's the volume, or the actual sound of it that bothers me. I think it's just too strong.

Back