New to the forum - recorded some tunes

jgray27

Hey all - I'm new to this forum, and fairly new to the MR-8. I love it.

My recordings are hampered by the fact that I have no bass guitar (so I use the less paul with chorus on the neck pickup, to at least fill up the sound) and no drummer or drum machine (so I thump on guitars, clap, make sounds with my mouth, etc to emulte drums). Also hampered by the fact that I might not be all that good ;)

BUT - I have listened to some of the stuff that has been posted here, and I think a log of it is really good. I wanted to throw mine into the mix. Any comments and/or criticism is welcome.

http://www.townies31.com/sl

Peace and Chicken Grease,
Jono

I downloaded an listened to 100 years and I have to say I really liked it. I liked the stereo 2 guitars panned left and right as well you kept great time with the pickup thump. I don't know..the song took me away for a few minutes to your world and I liked that since not many songs do that. I love that C-D-G-A progression. Good stuff Jono.

My only critisicsm so far is to if you can add more treble or reverb to your voice for a llittle more of a "live" sound. It kinda sounds like listening to your voice on a AM radio station:)

thanks for sharing

clif

Thanks man. Yeah, I'm still working on the overall mix of the tunes.

I think I got it down better in "All that I Can Bring" and "LifeLong Dream".

If you have a moment to take a listen, I'd love to know what you think.

As always - thanks -

Jono

I listened to "All I can bring". ANother great tune! Did you record the distorted guitar using the MR-8 effects? It sounds a little "buzzy" but that is what we can expect from the built in distortion. It is too bad that you do not have a drum machine since this song can really cook!

The vocals were better on this one especially the harmony parts. Very cool

clif

The distorted rythym track is too high-pitched and scratchy. I agree.

Les Paul -> Boss DS1 -> MR8. I'm going to start using my amp fed into the Mr8 through the preamp-out from now on.

Thanks again for the kind words. I had fun with that one.

Peace,
Jono

I hate to be the bummer in the group, but I'd love to be able to stream these......would you consider posting on NWR? I will go now and download 100 years...dial-up d/l takes a while...I'll be back next week!

bd

bitch bitch bitch............:D

OK, so it didn't quite take a week.....Very Good Tune! Very "James Taylor" if you don't mind me saying so. I think that's a good thing, in fact, if he heard it I'm sure he would want to cut it. I'll try to get to the other ones when I get some time....sounds good man!

bd

Regarding the download times...that's a totally understandable reaction.

Lemme check into getting these onto the same place that you all post to. The last thing I want to do is ask for your comments and then have you wait all day for a song written and recorded by ME ;)

Peace,
Jono

:cool:

Listened to 100 years. I must say that you made the absolute best of what ya have and that, to me, is what it's all about.

The tune is excellent and the guitaring and guitar tone is great too.

You have a good voice and once ya add some Reverb and maybe just a touch of Delay to the Vox it ought to sound great.

Good work man!

CR ><>

The Maccabee Project Demo:
http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/The_Maccabee_Project/

Thanks Jono,
Made things a lot easier for those of us w/dialup. Listened to the other four. All of them sound pretty darn good! I can hear the obvious songwriting talent. I especially like your creative use of homegrown percussion and your arrangements are very good. Just some comments on the individual tunes.
Life long dream...Liked the chorus fx on the guitar.
Morning After...really nice acoustic work, might want to polish the lead with a little smoother transition to chord changes, I dunno...maybe work on the electric tone a little, it just kinda sticks out.
Take me home...Really nice tune, I liked the slide...added that melancholy effect, good job.
All that I can bring...What can I say about this one? I can smell a country hit a mile away.......only one thing......that third leg thing takes all the commercial appeal away. I like it as is.....whothehellami?
Hope I haven't been too tough on you man, I like your stuff...don't take these comments the wrong way.

bd

Not taken the wrong way at all, bd. I appreciate it. I used to be in a band before I moved from Boston, where I could bring ideas to the guys and they would say things like "that good, except for that 3rd leg part..." just like you did ;) Writing in a vacuum is tougher, you know?

Overall I agree with what you said - the lead on Morning After needs to be more tasteful, as do couple of the lyrics in All That I Can Bring.

Thanks again - and I'll try and keep new tunes coming, as time permits.

Peace and chicken grease -
Jono

Back