New to recording.

vikjohn

I have an audiobox interface connected to my computer. I got a small Pyle 4-channel mixer and as a surprise, I got a RC1 Boss looper as a gift. I play several instruments. The question is how do I hook this all up so I can record on my computer? I'm doing this for my entertainment and to eventually post somewhere.

Do you have a DAW? If not you need one. How many instruments will you be recording at the same time? If only one at a time you don't need the mixer unless you want to keep a bunch of instruments plugged in all the time. The loop station will plug into an input on either the Presonus or mixer.

Lets skip the mixer for the moment. You say you play several instruments. I presume not all at once. Depending on which model, the audiobox has two inputs that are combination of mic and instrument. The audiobox Go has one xlr and one instrument input.

Starting with the looper. It's all 1/4 inch connectors or instrument. If you want to play through the looper, plug say a guitar in on the input and the output to the audiobox. The audiobox should have come with at least the basic Studio One software. The audiobox USB 96 one comes with Studio One Artist. Install the software and drivers to record to your computer. Plug the output of the audiobox to amp/speakers of some sort. Most use at least some basic powered monitors.

Not sure what you'll need the mixer for at this early stage. You'll need to figure out the software and get the basics of recording down first. Source into the interface. Interface plugged into the computer. Output of the interface plugged into some speakers for listening.

Of importance is to understand the mixer knob on the interface. Input side is the source direct to the interface output (headphone and outs) Playback is the audio going through the computer and back to the interface to the outputs. Going through the computer will introduce some delay called latency. It is often hard to record yourself if you are hearing yourself slightly behind so blending between these two makes it possible to monitor what you have already recorded into the computer and what you are inputting.

Missing is any microphones to record voice or acoustic instruments.

Do you have a DAW? If not you need one. How many instruments will you be recording at the same time? If only one at a time you don't need the mixer unless you want to keep a bunch of instruments plugged in all the time. The loop station will plug into an input on either the Presonus or mixer.
One instrument at a time! I use Cakewalk for my DAW.

Lets skip the mixer for the moment. You say you play several instruments. I presume not all at once. Depending on which model, the audiobox has two inputs that are combination of mic and instrument. The audiobox Go has one xlr and one instrument input.

Starting with the looper. It's all 1/4 inch connectors or instrument. If you want to play through the looper, plug say a guitar in on the input and the output to the audiobox. The audiobox should have come with at least the basic Studio One software. The audiobox USB 96 one comes with Studio One Artist. Install the software and drivers to record to your computer. Plug the output of the audiobox to amp/speakers of some sort. Most use at least some basic powered monitors.

Not sure what you'll need the mixer for at this early stage. You'll need to figure out the software and get the basics of recording down first. Source into the interface. Interface plugged into the computer. Output of the interface plugged into some speakers for listening.

Of importance is to understand the mixer knob on the interface. Input side is the source direct to the interface output (headphone and outs) Playback is the audio going through the computer and back to the interface to the outputs. Going through the computer will introduce some delay called latency. It is often hard to record yourself if you are hearing yourself slightly behind so blending between these two makes it possible to monitor what you have already recorded into the computer and what you are inputting.

Missing is any microphones to record voice or acoustic instruments.

I just thought that if all the instruments were plugged into the mixer there would be less swapping occuring. As to mics, my hammer Dulcimer has a pickup, my guitar also has a pickup my violin has a pickup and my Swedish Nyckelharpa has an Ovid CC100 condenser mic. Thanks for the speedy reply. I use Cakewalk as my DAW (former Sonar user). I am not new to home recording on a basic level. My music partner is over an hour away so I record, send it out to her, and then she adds her part. It is how we practice.

Illustrates that everyone is different in both habits and goals. I for one, don't leave my instruments laying around, never mind plugged in. Hard enough keeping them humidified in the cases and the plugged in cable just invites trip hazards and damage to valuable instruments.

Also to goals, if this is just practice tracks, then any added noise from the mixer isn't probably going to be an issue. My point was more about best practices. Trade off's.

That sounds like some really interesting music you'd be making... I'll let the others give setup advice, but I look forward to maybe hearing some samples of your music! Cheers!

Illustrates that everyone is different in both habits and goals. I for one, don't leave my instruments laying around, never mind plugged in. Hard enough keeping them humidified in the cases and the plugged in cable just invites trip hazards and damage to valuable instruments.

Also to goals, if this is just practice tracks, then any added noise from the mixer isn't probably going to be an issue. My point was more about best practices. Trade off's.
Ive never put anything away unless it was in the way!

If you're recording track by track then you have both options. Go direct to the interface for each track or set up the mixer for 1 channel per instrument and send to the interface. I can see your point of less swapping by having each mixer channel set up for each instrument. That way you have your settings in place and less tinkering with them for tracking. Ultimately it's whatever works best for you.

Back