New to recording..

Johnbmx26

Hey,
I've been searcing around for info on recording and I thought maybe you guys could help me a bit?
Well, I'm pretty new to recording, and I don't want to get really serious into it, but just to get a decent quality recording of myself on drums. I'm 15, so I'm trying to go with the cheapest solution possible.

For the mics, I've been looking at this CAD mic pack:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/270776/

I've seen alot of cheaper mic packs and I was wondering what your opinions were on them, would I be better off getting decent used ones?

So, next is to get it to my computer, I've asked a bunch of people and I was thinking of getting an analog mixer, then connecting it to an audio interface to connect it to my computer. (found alot of used mixers for cheap)
But then I just found this Mixer with a USB output:
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--ALEMULTIMIX8USB

I see that it only has 4 XLR inputs and 2 1/4 Inputs. Would this work if I got some kind of XLR > 1/4 converter? Any downsides to this? Loss in quality?
But, I'm still pretty unsure of how I want the recording to work. I've looked at Audio Interfaces with XLR inputs go for like $800 and that's really way too much for me.
What do you think the best solution is for me?

Also, if I did get the Alesis mixer W/ USB (above) it only has 6 inputs. Do you think this is enough?
I have a pretty standard 5 piece set up.

One person suggested getting a mixer, and recording to a minidisc and bring that to the computer?

I really have no idea, just trying to find a cheap solution, but with a decent recording. Not going to record a whole band, just myself.

And if this matters, I will be working on an Apple Ibook 1.2GHZ w/ a gig of ram, and a 250gb external hd.

Thanks
John

Since you qualified your post to indicate you aren't looking to be a serious engineer/producer, but simply want to get a decent recording of your kit, I don't think you need to spend lots of cash.

It appears you've considered the key things.

1. What recording medium do you plan to use (you already know this)
2. How do you plan to get the sound into that medium (you've already identified you need A/D converters) however, you need to decide how many channels of converters (stereo, or 4 ins/outs, perhaps 8 ins/outs)
3. How many recorded track do you want/need? This gets more complicated. certainly you can take a stereo signal into the compiter, but then you lose most of your mixing abililty. Ideally you want as many tracks as you have recorded sources (ie: mics).
4. How many mics do you need? At a minimum you should anticipate 3 mics. 2 overheads (which should be condensors) and 1 on the kick (a dynamic with low enough response). If you keep it that basic, then a stereo out to the computer should be fine. However, if you choose to close mic (meaning anywhere from 7 to 9 mics) then you likely want individual outs.
5. What kind of mixer? If you only need 3 channels, then there are plenty of low cost mixers (make sure you have XLR with phantom power for the condensor mics). I you plan to close mic, then you need a mixer that has direct outs for each channel. A mixer with 4-6 XLR ins and a couple or 1/4" ins could work. Using an XLR-1/4" converter on dynamic mics does not lose that much signal - in particular when your talking drum mics.
6. Does the A/D converter need to be XRL? Not really, most direct outs or even stero outs from low cost mixers are 1/4". If you plan to go direct to the A/D (with no mixer) then the A/D also need phantom power (for condensor mics).

If I were you, I would buy a 3 mic pack (1 low frequency dynamic and 2 condensors), a low cost mixer (and simply plan stereo output) and a low cost 2 in/out A/D converter.

Candidly, it is best to first learn how to get a good sound with 3 mics, before trying multi mic recording.

Hey,
Cool.. do you have a example of a recorded kit with only 3 mics? It seems like it wouldn't sound half bad..

But, any mixer in paticular that you would reccomend? I think it would be good to get a mixer with a few more inputs so as I begin recording, I can add more mics..

Thanks
John

Hey John,

I just recorded drums with just a few mics... I used 3 room mics (very cheap ones, to experiment a little) in addition to 2 overheads, a kick mic and a snare mic, but ultimately just the 2 overheads and one room mic about 1.5 meters from the front of the kit sounded absolutely fabulous!
I used two Rode NT5's as overheads, and a rode NT1 as room mic. The NT1 had so much low end I could mute the kick channel and still have a set of drums that sounded natural. You do need a room that sounds okay, and your drums need to be tuned well, and be in proportion, dynamically.
So; 3 mics can be enough, especially if you like a pure drumsound, I think I wouldn't even have close-mic'd it if I had the budget :)
If it's mixed, I can post some snippets for you to hear, if you want to.

cheers, Nicky

Back