New to recording singing

Technoma

So I am 100 % new to recording in general, but I am looking for suggestions on recording songs that I have wrote or do covers for. Here are a few things I am looking for

~Best recording/editing software for a musician (and beginner as far as editing software)
~General Recording tips for singing
~Types of mics to use (or avoid)
~Best practices for recording myself playing guitar/keyboard while singing

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

WOW - What experience of singing do you have, what would your typical genre be? but most vital how much money have you got to spend. I assume you have a computer, so you need a DAW - which ranges from free to mega expensive. Differences are capability and complexity - but the free ones or very cheap ones are OK to start with - you need an interface. This connects your mic into the system - and if you use something like a hifi for replay - it will connect that too. Headphones of course and a modest mic. Realistically - A worthwhile mic can be 100-200, or maybe a bit less. The interface will work for you keyboard too - but if you wish to sing AND play the guitar then it's two mics.

That gets you going but assumes your recording space sounds nice. The rest is down to how quickly you pick it up. We can answer questions but your question gives hardly any info for detailed responses - you'll need to help us a bit. It is like posting on a car forum. I'd like to buy a car to do some driving in. I quite like blue..........

WOW - What experience of singing do you have, what would your typical genre be? but most vital how much money have you got to spend. I assume you have a computer, so you need a DAW - which ranges from free to mega expensive. Differences are capability and complexity - but the free ones or very cheap ones are OK to start with - you need an interface. This connects your mic into the system - and if you use something like a hifi for replay - it will connect that too. Headphones of course and a modest mic. Realistically - A worthwhile mic can be 100-200, or maybe a bit less. The interface will work for you keyboard too - but if you wish to sing AND play the guitar then it's two mics.

That gets you going but assumes your recording space sounds nice. The rest is down to how quickly you pick it up. We can answer questions but your question gives hardly any info for detailed responses - you'll need to help us a bit. It is like posting on a car forum. I'd like to buy a car to do some driving in. I quite like blue..........
Much appreciated! I guess I am so new I didn't know exactly what to ask!
I mostly do Americana, Alt Country and Indie Rock with the guitar and pretty much everything with the keyboard. I have been singing on stage since I was three and have always had a sound person wherever I went or had someone in a band that took care of all the technical audio stuff. I do however have a couple mics, one really nice one I just got for Christmas which prompted me to finally record like I have wanted to for years. I have done some research as of the last couple of days, it looks like I would benefit from sound effects or a harmonizer.
I am willing to sink money into it, but I didn't want to go out and buy the top of the line equipment or anything until I have an idea of what I need to do just to start leaning how to record. If I pick it up, I will upgrade over time... but I am willing to sink a few hundred bucks overall into getting started with something a little nicer than the free stuff (At least I think that is what I should do)

And yes I do have a good computer for a DAW :)

Does that narrow it down a bit?

OK, that's a start. What microphones do you have? Specific models will let us know where your starting point is. Also, a bit of info on your current computer will be helpful? Processor and memory will make a difference in performance. A solid state drive is great to have, but not an absolute necessity if the rest of the system is powerful enough.

For a basic system, you can pick up a Behringer UMC204HD for around $80. It's a basic audio interface, has two mic preamps which will let you set up a mic for vocals and a mic for a guitar. Or you can record a piano in stereo, then add vocals later. It gives you options. It also has midi, so you can use your keyboards to control virtual instruments later on. If you want a better quality unit, you can look at the Motu M2 or M4, or the Zoom UAC2.

You need a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW). Stay away from Audacity. It's a great editor, and free, but doing multitracking is not it's forte. I would recommend looking at Reaper and Cakewalk by Bandlab. Cakewalk is free, Reaper is free to try and $60 for a license. Reaper is a full fledged DAW and can be as basic or as complex as you want. I've been using it for over 5 years. Both come with internal effects called Plug-Ins.

Microphones can be a bit of a rabbit hole. I would avoid the really cheap USB mics and similar Chinese condensers (like the Fifine and ZINGYOU). They work, but really aren't quality units. I've heard quite a few people who end up with non working units. Their only positive is that they are cheap, usually $25-30.

I use different ones for my acoustic guitar vs my vocals. Most of my vocals have been done with a Rode NT1, although I've also used a cheap MXL V67g ($80) and an old Studio Projects B3. I also have a Miktek MK300 that I picked up on sale. It sounds really good, but I haven't used it for real recordings yet. For my acoustic (a Taylor 310 dreadnought) I have Rode M5s and AKG P170s. Neither is a high dollar mic ($100 or less). Those are all condensers. For dynamic mics, I have Sennheiser e935 and e835. I prefer them to the Shure SM57 or 58 but that's just a preference. I also have the 57. Mics will often go on sale so that one that is normally $300 might be $200, or a $120 mic might be $90. Patience is a virtue when you are shopping for mics. Since you already have some, start with those and then spend time learning about mics. You don't need a $3000 Neumann to do some decent recording.

Assuming your computer is good enough and you have a decent mic already, you could be recording this weekend for under $100.

I think the above is good starting point. I also recommend as you start out, be aware of the room you are in. What is in front of you and what is behind you.

I was doing some mic work, vocals and acoustic guitar. I was mixing and I couldn't get the box sound out of the tracks. I have decent mics, room isn't great, but should sound like crap, but it did. I finally realized that behind me was an entertainment center and the mic was facing the area where the TV sits, which is ...

Get what you have, start knocking around and focus on what you are capturing. Play with the location in the room until you get a sound YOU like. Nothing crazy, just moving your mic around the room and in various directions. It is often stated here, if it sounds good, it is good. Pick some of the mics you have, just sing into it and then fiddle with the placement. I think you will hear the difference.

Hi Techoma and welcome to the forum. Now, since you have a few bob to put about I am going to suggest you leave the UMC204HD to the really hard up and buy better. Interfaces are legion and there no really bad ones but I strongly recommend the MOTU M4. This has two mic/line/ guitar inputs but also two more line inputs that could take a feed from say your keyboard. I have had the 204HD and it is quite serviceable. Sent my son in France it eventually but later upgraded us both with an M4...Just operationally miles better and MOTU* are great people to deal with if you have any problems.

Microphones come in two basic flavours. Dynamics such as the ubiquitous Shure SM57/8 and capacitor (aka but wrongly "condenser") mics. VERY broad difference? Dynamics tend to be a bit 'Rock n Roll' Capacitors more 'clean' and wideband. Caps are perhaps easier to sing and play with as you don't need to practically suck them. Both will need a 'spit'/pop gag.

Singing AND playing. I am sure you are technically perfect at it but it can be tricky to get a good voice/instrument balance, especially in a small, poorly treated room. Many songsters record the guitar part say first then listen to it through headphones whilst singing. But much depends upon how fussy you are about the voice/instrument isolation. Keys of course could be plugged in and heard through headphones.

And yes! Get Reaper! No point in messing with anything else. They ALL take time to learn and all do much the same things. Reaper is just better and cheaper than most.

*I have no commercial attachment to the company whatsoever.

Dave.

Don't be afraid to ebay - there are lots of recording folk constantly upgrading so decent but three or four year old mics can be quite cheap. Perils really relate to buying horrible sounding counterfeits of Shures or Sennheisers - very common on ebay. These thing range from undetectable, to really horrible sounding. If you buy a Shure Sm58 vocal mic for instance - buy from an authorised Shure dealer. Cheap, brand new and genuine ones just don't exist!

Buy from sources who give you a return option. Mics are very personal to what you record. Your guitar may hate a certain mic, and you'll never get a decent recording of it, while others might work very well together. At this stage, you just don't know. Hence a return option, even if you pay return postage is worth having. The interfaces mentioned above and reaper will get great sounds almost immediately. You just need to have reliable listening systems - speakers or headphones that are truthful, not flattering is the usual thing. Boxy roioms can have duvets hung on mic stands to make them better. Loads of info is available. Feel free to post your shopping list before actually buying - we can help spot issues!

Back