New to recording, need help in gear and recording process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vargmork

Hello!

I have a one man band and I want to start recording some songs but I'm new in the recording field so I need some advices on the matter.

I own a guitar + marshall valvestate amp, a Bass guitar + amp, and a basic drum set, now I would like some advice on what gear do I need to start recording.

The style of music I play is Black Metal like Burzum, Darkthrone, Carpathian Forest etc. Second wave of norwegian black metal so to speak, so I do not need a perfect quality recording whatsoever, I want it to sound raw and primitive like I play it.

1 - I was thinking to buy either a Tascam DP-02 or a Zoom R24, what do you guys recommend the most?

2 - Can I record 1 Electric Guitar track ( mono ) using one microphone next to my amp, then use the same method to record the Bass Guitar in another track (mono) , then record the volcals in another track ( mono ), then record the drums and after this is done, can I mix and master everything together in one setero song? Using only the Zoom R24 or Tascam DP-02 for the recording - mixing - mastering process?

3 - Do I need any pre amp? or can I use the pre amp from the recorder?

4 - If this is possible, in which file format the final song would be? .wav? .mp3? Any other format?

5 - Is it possible to record drums with only 2 microphones? If yes which microphones do you think its the best for it? I own a basic drum kit with 2x tom tom , 1 snare drum, 4 cymbals , 1 bass drum , 1 floor tom. (budget for the 2 mics 300$)

6 - To record the Electric Guitar and the Bass Guitar I was thinking about the Sm57 mic, but for the vocals I have no idea which mic I would use, can you suggest some microphones for recording vocals? (budget: 150$)

Thank you for everything! All the help I can use from you would be most welcome! :)

1 - I don't know either of those but have heard of them. others can help with interface questions better.

2 - Yes. Multitracking is the way it's done. You'll need the hardware (1), and some software. I use Reaper it has a full feature demo, and is $40 if you decide you like it. And it's pretty easy to use (compared to others).

3 - nope, the pre's on your interface (1) will work fine for now.

4 - Most software will save your song as .wav or compress it into .mp3. When you record each track (guitar, vocals etc.) will be a .wav file. When you're done with the whole song you'll "render" it to a stereo .wav and/or .mp3 that any media player can play, or burn to CD. Reaper will do this too.

5 - yes. most use 4 (two overheads, one bass, one snare) but two overheads will get it done for now too. Look up drum recording techniques or cruise the drum section on this board.

6 - Sm57 is great for guitars/snare/instruments. Some people really like it on acoustic guitar and some for vocals too. In your budget I'd probably go with a MXL v67g. I hadnt used in until recently and it's really nice for $90-120.

Good Luck, and read up as much as you can on techniques...and practice!

Thanks a lot aaronmcoleman!!

I've been reading a LOT of posts in this forum and I've improved my knowledge in the recording field.

It's really helpful to have some foruns like this.

Well to start my humble home studio I will go with the next gear:

Recorder: Zoom R24

Mics:

Sm57 - For micing my guitar and bass amp

Samson CO-2 - Overheads using recorder man configuration + Sm57 for the kick if I feel like I need it.

Sm58 - For vocals ( If somewhat I don't like the sound of the Sm57 )

Monitors: A pair of Yamaha HS50M

Isolated Headphones: I still have to look into that.

DAW: Reaper

What do you think?

for vocals, the 57 and 58 won't be too different, if you don't like one, you probably won't like the other. A lot of people have recommended MXL V67g for vocals. It is cheaper than the 57 and should work well. I've used it a couple of times and had no complaints. Plus an LDC like that would be nice for a lot of things (acoustic guitars, vocals, rooms, single overhead, anything acoustic). That would be my one change from your list.

Reaper is great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back