New to Recording - Need audio Interface

Butch-1

Mr Telecaster !
I'm a vet Musician,recorded in studios a lot. But I have never recorded at Home. I want to make a Demo for my Band to get Gigs, with Cool Edit.. what is a good cheap audio Interface & do I need one to get this done ?

I think we'd need to know your budget, and also whether you are content to record in stereo (in other words, the soundcard would simply have left and right inputs) or several tracks at once (so the soundcard would have 4 to 16 inputs, at a cost of course...) - whatever you get, Cool Edit / Audition does not support "ASIO" so mention that to the salesperson when you shop.

ok i have an older PC with onboard sound, is that gong to work?
also Do you know were I can Find some Mic Simulator pulgins.
like i said I have never recorded at home But I've Been in the Studio
lots of times and I know you need The Right Mic to get the true sound of the Instrument your Recording.

PC= 633Mhz / 256RAM

You are probably going to still want to invest in a soundcard. Onboard sound is never really good, especially on older motherboards.

ok so I get a soundcard. that will be from ebay, Because I'm a poor Broke Musician.. what is a good card that is cheap ?
PS. I have an soundblaster Live Card will That work ?

what to buy

Well almost anything will be better than your onboard soundcard, but if you're going to spend any money you might as well get something you'll be able to sell.

People around here seem to like the Audiophile and delta 44 on the low end.

I'm thinking of getting the emu 0404 for our keyboard player

All of those are easily found on ebay with a search in the musical instruments section (watch out for cheap buy it now with four times the shipping) and would be easy to dispose of when you're trading up.

Best of luck,

Paddy

Well then you can always buy the Tascam 428 because you can use it as an interface/and or just a control surface and as an added bonus it is a 24 bit soundcard so it has everything you need in one unit except for phantom power/pre amp but you can find a cheap one for about $50

ok, I was under the impression. that what ever the sound that I recorded / sent into PC / CEP = what I will get back out.
so I can't use any soundcard as just an interface when recording? the soundcard is going to effect my tone ? why would it effect the tone of the sound I record, when I'm only using it to interface ?

Bottom line is: I need to make a demo to book jobs for the band.
I have played around with recording my Guitar & Voice.
when I play it back, it sounds just as true as when I recorded it..

soundproofed Rooms, tons of processor's
& EQ's 24/4 mackie Mixer , 4 ch Headphone amp
sure 57's, 58, Beta's and audio technica Drum Mic's
PC = 633 mhz processor / 256 megs RAM
This will not make a good demo ?

Last edited:
Unless you buy a soundcard specifically made for recording, you won't get true representation of sound.

Any cheap soundcard will add some color to your voice, minimal at most, but you'll also be fighting 60 cycle hums, and or "white noise" created by your soundcard/pci bus/motherboard etc...

I have a very good soundcard in my opinion, and it was on the low price end. I love it, and people have been complimenting my recording much more since purchasing it.

I have the Echo Mia MIDI from www.echoaudio.com which I purchased at Guitar Center for $140.00

It's well worth it.

An example of my recordings: www.soundclick.com/soulintent

I also have an MXL condensor Mic, and a custom built vocal booth.

Soundblasters are meant for games. But you can use it to get your feet wet and until you can afford something better.

Do you know were I can Find some Mic Simulator plug-ins?

The only one I know of is the Acoustic Mirror which is a DirectX plug-in from Sonic Foundry (now Sony). They have a whole collection of Shure mic impulses that are amazing.

"so I can't use any soundcard as just an interface when recording? the soundcard is going to effect my tone ? why would it effect the tone of the sound I record, when I'm only using it to interface ?"

Soundcards are electronics. Cheap electronics = shitty sound. As I understand it, the main job of the soundcard in recording is in coverting analogue signals into digital (and then reconverting that digital information into an analogue signal later on when you play it back through your monitors or headphones or whatever - AD/DA). Different soundcards do a better or worse job of those conversions based on their quality. The soundcards that come with bog standard computers aren't designed for the discriminating listener - they're designed to produce Windows sounds and game sounds. Soundblaster cards tend to fall into the 'gamer' category. Get a card that's designed primarily for audio use, and you'll be doing yourself a big favor.

You already know how important the mic and the mic pre are.

After that, it's a matter of what you're gonna use for mixing: Cool Edit has a *lot* of usable effects - I've done whole albums using nothing but Cool's effects. I still use Cool a lot, but I'm starting to explore other plugins these days (I like my EQ plugin better than Cool, for instance).

Butch-1 said:
I have Antares Microphone Modeler, DirectX
Let me get this straight. You spent $200 dollars on a Mic modeler plugin, and you want to cheap out on the soundcard.

Farview said:
Let me get this straight. You spent $200 dollars on a Mic modeler plugin, and you want to cheap out on the soundcard.

No = I got it from a friend, and I dont want to cheap out: if i had the money a would buy a $600.00 card !!!

PS: do you have a Card you will sell me Cheap :o

Back