New to recording - How to use Helix LT and Audio interface

aspain1984

Hello.

I am new to recording so watching all the videos I can and reading a lot, but can't seem to find a simple answer for how best to record using my Helix LT through a different Audio interface (I want it on the floor for expression pedals).

I also want to record the Di signal as well as the floorboard effects. Do I need a Di box to achieve this?

Thanks in advance for helping a noob out.

Hello.

I am new to recording so watching all the videos I can and reading a lot, but can't seem to find a simple answer for how best to record using my Helix LT through a different Audio interface (I want it on the floor for expression pedals).

I also want to record the Di signal as well as the floorboard effects. Do I need a Di box to achieve this?

Thanks in advance for helping a noob out.
What audio interface would you be using? The number and type of inputs you have can make a difference on what you want to do.

I did a quick look at the HT manual and it looks like you could completely isolate the two paths through the device and have all your FX on one (e.g. A) and the other (B) with nothing, and then feed those two your two L/R outputs, and either of those can be configured as instrument or line-level outputs. So, e.g., if you only have 2 channel inputs on the interface, this would give you a wet and dry recording, with both in mono. If you want stereo FX in the HT, utilizing both L/R outputs, you'll need to add a DI in front of the HT, and at least 3 channel inputs on the interface. At least, that's my quick read thinking.

Thanks for the reply.

I only have a behringer umc22 at the moment as I didn’t want to invest too much until I was more competent. I would look to get a focusrite 2i2 or air 192/6 in the near future though for the extra input/ output

Thanks for the reply.

I only have a behringer umc22 at the moment as I didn’t want to invest too much until I was more competent. I would look to get a focusrite 2i2 or air 192/6 in the near future though for the extra input/ output
Since one of the UMC22's inputs is designated INST, you could split the paths in the LT, set the 1/4" outputs to INST level, and take the dry channel to the UMC22 "INST" input; set the XLR outputs to LINE level, and use an XLR (female) to 1/4" TRS (male, balanced) cable to the other input on the wet channel to that input.

Or, you could set up the LT as stereo, put a DI in front of it, taking the XLR to the MIC input of the UMC22, and sending the THRU line to the LT, but at the back end, use the L/MONO 1/4" output, set as INST level, and go to the INST input on the UMC22.

There's probably a dozen ways to skin this cat - I'd set it up for the way that makes the most sense for your intended use, i.e., are you just recording, or will you be packing the LT off to a gig every week?

p.s. If you're getting more channels, the main reason to do that (for just the guitar) would be to record the LT's stereo output. Then you'd need a DI in front of it for the dry signal.

Great. Thanks for the advice.

I am no longer gigging. Just interested in writing and recording now, so looking for a permanent solution that does not have to be moved around.

Looks like I am going to need a Di box to get the stereo output.

Great. Thanks for the advice.

I am no longer gigging. Just interested in writing and recording now, so looking for a permanent solution that does not have to be moved around.

Looks like I am going to need a Di box to get the stereo output.
And another interface!

You can, of course, use your LT as an interface and record the dry and stereo channels, but you said you didn't want to do that - not sure why, are you wanting to record vocals, too?

Yes, I want to be able to use the interface to also record vocals. I also do not want stupidly long cables as I am a bit of a clean freak, but I use the expression pedal a lot so would need the Helix on the floor.

I also won't use the Helix all of the time, so for keyboards and bass, I want to be able to have the freedom of an independent audio interface.

You didn't mention if you are on a Mac or not, but if you are, you can create an "aggregate" device with both your UMC22 and LT combined as a single input/output "device" - you wouldn't have to buy anything in that case.

That Helix XT is QUITE a piece of kit so it would be a bit silly IMHO to 'cheap out' on a second interface. (I assume the XT is a USB interface? )
Two interfaces that I have used (still have) come to mind. The Native Instruments KA6 and the MOTU M4. Both have two superb mic pre amps with the M4 having perhaps a wee bit more gain but if you are singing into a 58 say at ~50mm both AIs will give excellent results.

Both AIs have two more line inputs that can take the TRS output of the XT. Not sure where the DI box comes in but it can serve to split the guitar, one feed to XT one to HZ input on AI?

Both AIs have MIDI ports as does the XT could be fun! As you have a mac you should have not problem running two, independent interfaces.

If I HAD to chose I would say the KA6 has been THE best AI at its price for many years. The M4 does however just beat it IMHO.

Dave.

I do want to upgrade the Behringer AI, but I am new to recording (to the point where I have not recorded yet!)

I really just want to play some stuff into Ableton Live Lite using my Helix LT, have a DI signal I can play around with plugins, and also have an area for a Mic so I can record songs.

Moving forward I better AI, and lots more gear. But I am trying to not do the age-old trick of getting all the top gear straight away before how I have learned how it all works together properly.

It might be worth getting an interface with four inputs, so you can record a stereo feed from the Helix, a DI from upstream of the Helix, and a vocal mic all at once, or at least just have them all plugged in at once so you can switch from guitar to vocal without having to re-patch.

". But I am trying to not do the age-old trick of getting all the top gear straight away before how I have learned how it all works together properly." I would not describe either of the interfaces I mentioned as being "top end gear" ! Certainly their performance in terms of noise and converter quality is at least as good as the Helix and probably much better but we are not talking 'Prism' here.

Look at page 70 of the Helix manual. There it goes into the issue of 'latency'. The Helix is designed to minimize this but lower cost interfaces tend to be poorer in this respect., both the KA6 and the M4 give very low latency, on;y bettered by much more expensive kit such as RME. I am with BSG here, get the gear together you need and get started. (if I might inject a note some see as heresy here? In addition to a good 4 input AI you might find a small mixer useful. I shall just leave that there!)

One point you mentioned? Cable lengths, "want to keep them short" For neatness or a suspicion they will degrade your sound? Ok, if you are OCD I cannot help you! However, modern audio kit of this sort has very low output impedance on line outs etc. You can have many mtrs of cable before any HF loss would be evident. Use balanced lines where possible (both M4 and KA6 have balanced ins and outs) . Microphone lines can be 100mtrs with no ill effects. Yes, guitar cables can induce 'tone suck' loss of treble but keep the cable to about 3mtrs max and you will be fine. In FACT a longer signal cable can be better if it allows you to avoid hum from mains cables and especially power supplies.

Dave.

Back