New to Reaper - how do I extract a song?

MagicMatt

I've got a live set - one 50 minute track, several songs.

I've got the balance about right, EQ about right on the tracks.

What I want to do now is take a single song, complete with all the FX chain, levels etc. into a new file, so I can fine tune the individual songs as required...

...can it be done?

Good question, now you've got my curiosity piqued.

I guess the first thing I would try (after backing up my project in its entirety in a safe folder, away from harm) is to click and drag on the timeline to select a section of the project. Then right-click and select "crop project to selection", then File->Save As... and save this piece of the project as a new project named something like "track 1.rpp". Make sure to check the "create new subfolder" box on the save dialog. Then undo, select a new region of the project, crop, save as, undo...repeat until all pieces of the project are in their own project folders.

Wait...do you want a single rendered file for each section of the live set, or a new project for each section of the live set?

You have a project of 50 minutes, and you have some FX and settings that apply to the whole thing, and now you want to break this up into separate projects for each song, keeping the settings you already have?

If that is the case, then one way is to:

1 Click and drag from the start to the end of a song to get all the tracks of the song selected.

2 Right click then click on 'Crop project to selection'. This will get rid of everything before and after the selection.

3 Go to File/Save Project As and save this with the song's name.

4 Do CTRL Z to undo (which should undo the 'crop project to selection' action, bringing everything back again.

5 Select a new song and repeat.

Each song will then be a separate project which you can load up and refine separately.

Another option is to use markers. As stated earlier, it is in the manual. When I want to render a collection, either to CD or just get all of the levels, You can use regions or for CD creation, use markers.

When you download the manual, search for region markers and how to use them. It will render each song up by region.

I guess the first thing I would try (after backing up my project in its entirety in a safe folder, away from harm) is to click and drag on the timeline to select a section of the project. Then right-click and select "crop project to selection", then File->Save As... and save this piece of the project as a new project named something like "track 1.rpp". Make sure to check the "create new subfolder" box on the save dialog. Then undo, select a new region of the project, crop, save as, undo...repeat until all pieces of the project are in their own project folders.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I had been doing (though the slightly longer route - splitting, deleting, moving the tracks to the start of the timeline). I feel a bit silly not noticing the crop feature!

Another option is to use markers. As stated earlier, it is in the manual. When I want to render a collection, either to CD or just get all of the levels, You can use regions or for CD creation, use markers.

When you download the manual, search for region markers and how to use them. It will render each song up by region.

I hadn't appreciated that you can put markers in and tell it to render individual files that way. However, to do the tweaking would affect the whole project unless I start adding automation, so it seems easier to me to extract each song and tweak them separately, that way the only automation I should need really is a fade in/out if required, and possibly nudging up the volume on an instrument during a solo.

I hadn't appreciated that you can put markers in and tell it to render individual files that way. However, to do the tweaking would affect the whole project unless I start adding automation, so it seems easier to me to extract each song and tweak them separately, that way the only automation I should need really is a fade in/out if required, and possibly nudging up the volume on an instrument during a solo.

The approach I suggested is automating the track volume to fade in and out or using the track fade feature (beginning and end of each file inside of Reaper. Not trying to confuse, just provide some options.

I would save from the original project to each song name first. Then in each project you can select a range on the timeline then right-click and "Crop to selection".

Sorry Tadpui . . .I somehow skipped over this and said exactly the same thing a few posts later.

Back