New to MIDI. Someone give me a run down of beat making.

Outlaws

I got Komplete 7 Elements, and I have EZ Drummer. I finally got a keyboard controller, and will probably get a AKAI MPD sooner rather than later. Right now for every sound I want to use I track it to a separate MIDI track in Reaper with a separate VST instance.

How do people on the YouTube videos using MPDs get a mixure of sounds on the same group of pads? Like they have a kick and a snare and some toms, but then have samples on other buttons that are clearly samples and not part of the kit.

Right now I just have a keyboard controller, but I would think it would be the same difference, specifically programming certain keys to certain sounds.

How do people on the YouTube videos using MPDs get a mixure of sounds on the same group of pads? Like they have a kick and a snare and some toms, but then have samples on other buttons that are clearly samples and not part of the kit.

I'm not exactly sure how they go about it, but I would make a new custom MIDI instrument in my software based off of a kit I want to use and then I would drag in and replace some of the kit sounds with my own samples.

MPDs and stuff have option of have cutting down stuff like sliceX.
it is a really powerfull tool. almost like a big MPC on one pad.

MPDs and stuff have option of have cutting down stuff like sliceX.
it is a really powerfull tool. almost like a big MPC on one pad.

huh? MPDs are just midi controllers, they dont have any of those functions. Effectively its just 16 velocity sensitive keyboard keys arraigned in a grid. It's the software that you are controlling that gives that functionality

to the OP: You own Kontakt and that is all you need to do what you want. Couple of things:

1) Its multitimberal, you only need to run ONE instance of Kontakt and then just run individual midi tracks sending on different channels into it.
2) To build your own kit in kontakt, simply assign one individual sample to one key. That's it. If you assign it to a range, the keys will just pitch it up. Find some drum kits in the library and look at how they are mapped out

Back