new to keyboards

Pbass75

hey guys,
im looking to get my first keyboard,the roland xp-10 interests me,but when i did a search on them,i saw someone suggested a "midi controller" and a module...what is this exactly? is a midi controller a keyboard...with no sounds in it by itself,you need the module for that? will any modules go with any controllers? in musicans friend i see a midi controller for like $89.00...whats that about?

thanks alot
g

I was in the same boat as you about a year ago. I decided to go with a synth (QS6.1) instead of a midi control and a module. Since you are somewhat new to keyboards I would suggest you do the same for a few reasons. First, a synth will be easier for a beginner to get used to. Second, when you decide you need more sounds, your synth will work woderfully at controlling a module via midi. Also, if you need to play a show it is easier to carry and set up s synth then a midi control and a module. Actually, it is simple to set up both, but I'm just used to a synth. Anyway,if you decide to go with the control/module you would probably benifit from test out different configs. The same goes with a synth as well.

So, get out there and buy something dammit;)

oh yeah, I beleive that any module will work with any controller, although a cheap controller will not do as many things as a more expensive and larger one.

thanks for your help...i guess it would be wiser to get a synth,because like you said i can always add a module...but i cant do the reverse...do you like your alesis?i dont need a full size board..i cant even play...i want it to make ambient "noise"

thanks again
g

luv it

yeah, I really like my alesis so far. It has some really incredible sounds and decent effects. BTW I can't play well either, although I have gotten much better since I got my synth. In one of the bands I am in I just use it for noise, but in the other (reggae) I have been forced to learn how to play a chord progressing with my left had while playing simple lead with my right. I almost bought the xp10, but decided on the alesis because I couldn't find a shop near here with a roland to demo.
You'll enjoy any one you get though, they are great for any studio.

right on..i think i found one i really like...its the korg 2000 rack mount unit...with a midi controller...i tried one out today and it was super cool...thanks again

g

hey man i m gonna pump your original idea and say to get the xp-10...i have it...i it is a kickass keyboard for the price i have made some really good music with it, even though i have other keyboards(including the coveted triton) i still use itso id tell anyone getting their first keyboard to get it

Back