New to HR, need some advice on HW components

KC80503

I've fooled with a flute on and off for about 40 yrs, no formal training, can't read music, but I feel like I have a pretty good ear for the melody of songs I enjoy listening to. Although I've been playing for some time, my experience with recording is limited to a very inexpensive battery amplified mic, velcroed to the flute. The few recordings I've made consisted of MP3z imported into Audacity which I mixed some flute into. Very elementary, but a couple of the recordings turned out OK for a first effort. I don't yet qualify to post links, but I put one of the recordings on youtube, which can be found by searching for "Neil Young Pocahontas with some flute" if you're so inclined. I had been using the same flute for those 40 yrs, and decided it was time to invest in a better flute, an intermediate Pearl model. So I'm looking for some advice on mics, sound cards (I've been looking at the HT OMEGA Claro Halo PCI ), decent headphones and PC speakers.
My health isn't too good as I approach geezerhood, so I'm not in a position to spend too extravagantly, so these items would have to be relatively inexpensive. I'd really appreciate some feedback on this...like I said, my experience with recording and mixing is remedial at best, so keep that in mind. A couple of inexpensive mics that I've been looking at are the Audix ADX10-FLP, a mic that attaches to a flute, and the Audio-Technica PRO-35 Pro Series Microphone, which could be modified and velcroed to a flute. I posed the question on Amazon, whether or not this mic could be used with a flute, and the majority of responders said it was a good mic for the price, and could be jury rigged to work with a flute. I'll also need to amplify the mic, so any suggestions of phantom battery amplification would also be welcome. I've got a decent PC, which I built myself, and have done quite a bit of research online with my very limited knowledge of HR, but rather than reinvent the wheel, it made sense to ask folks who are knowledgeable about home recording and the various components. My apologies for rambling, and thanks again for any and all advice you're willing to offer....Kirby

Back