New to Home Recording and Need Help - Thank You

I'm at the start of my recording journey again after a gap of 25 years. I Have a Tascam SD-24SD but I also have a Presonus Quantum 2 interface and a Faderport 8 control surface with Sphere subscription to all the goodies there for Studio One 5. I have this set up in a small home studio with good PC. Is the tascam still of use to me in my songwriting and recording? My thinking was that I can use it to quickly do tracking and bump tracks to the DAW. However, the Quantum interface and Studio One seem to provide an all in one solution now with no latency. Should I sell the Tascam as it seems redundant to my workflow. I'm skilling-up, so need to save time on the learning curve. Any advice or opinions? (y)

When I started digital recording on PC, I still had an analog frame of mind and a rack of hardware. It took me a while to shed the belief that I needed the hardware simply because I had it. Over the years I have shed more on more physical bits, and now work pretty much totally in the box. Consequently, I have stock of things that I don't use, but that "might come in handy one day".

The only hardware I use now is pedals for stringed instruments, if I think they'll do a job. I still like the idea of different hardware effects and tools, but having stuff in the box just makes sense to me. It's there, it sounds OK and I just customize to taste.
I like reading about equipment and people's past experiences of them, rather than having to have it.

Here is what I could do with just a decent mixing board, and an Alesis HD24 hard disc recorder and a decent CD burner. All outboard equipment, no computer used. All older equipment that can be had for 1200 or less. I used a Yamaha 02R board which I grabbed for 250.00, that is quite the deal, an Alesis HD24 which I paid 500 for at the time, and a Tascam burner for a hundred bucks. You be the judge. I did rip the CDs on to a computer and made the videos on the computer using a LINUX Unbutu OS and free open software for making videos. Just another option.

AC, you already have the computer which is the most important part of a DAW recording system. The only item that you would actually need to buy would be an interface to get started and then decide if you want to add items later. There is a lot of great software available for free. Not much of an investment to try DAW recording.

I own an HD24. Loaned it to a friend a VERY long time ago and he's just died. I shan't be troubling his widow to get it back! I've stuck cubase recently on a mac i used to edit video on and it's probably 6 year old and works just fine plugged into a modest interface. You don't need mega money to get going. I stuck cakewalk on a computer the other day as it's sort of ressurected itself and it works great and is free!

Doing everything digitally from within a computer (DAW, virtual instrument software) is definitely the way to go. The flexibility and control it offers, and at a relatively low cost, is unbeatable. For keyboard work, I recommend getting a usb keyboard that will act as a midi device in the computer (or a midi to usb adapter, to use as direct usb input into the computer), which you will use to drive the endless number of software packages out there (Kontakt being one I've started using recently and would highly recommend when it's on sale). The audio interface doesn't need midi controls/inputs, it's a fairly basic thing for the computer to handle over usb.

Just about any modern usb interface will work in your situation, which is identical to mine. It's only when live recording of multiple musicians at the same time it gets more complicated and expensive, and where arguably one could still make a case for using old outboard hardware like the options in the prior replies. Even then, there's plenty of interface options for 8+ inputs.

Last edited:
To continue the theme of 'cheap' and free kit and software. Try to get an interface with DIN MIDI ports.

Yes, you can do most things MIDI via USB but you don't have a MIDI data INPUT. Why would you want one? Well, you might find som cheap gear such as an old drum machine or controller and they will need to 'talk' to the PC via DIN.

Dave.

To continue the theme of 'cheap' and free kit and software. Try to get an interface with DIN MIDI ports.

Yes, you can do most things MIDI via USB but you don't have a MIDI data INPUT. Why would you want one? Well, you might find som cheap gear such as an old drum machine or controller and they will need to 'talk' to the PC via DIN.

Dave.
Dave, this is what I was referring to in getting a midi --> usb adapter. The adapter handles in and out signaling.

It does exactly as you describe for $15. No need to limit interface purchasing options when the function is added for such a low cost, if even needed. I have an old Motu (or maudio) one for connecting legacy gear, which I haven't actually needed to do in a decade+. I've used one a long while back with a Roland V series drum kit to control Superior Drummer, so it's a real thing/works.

Dave, this is what I was referring to in getting a midi --> usb adapter. The adapter handles in and out signaling.

It does exactly as you describe for $15. No need to limit interface purchasing options when the function is added for such a low cost, if even needed. I have an old Motu (or maudio) one for connecting legacy gear, which I haven't actually needed to do in a decade+. I've used one a long while back with a Roland V series drum kit to control Superior Drummer, so it's a real thing/works.

Yes Pinks, such gadgets have been around for some time but have a history of being rather fussy about what they work with. Maybe that generation is better? (not going to know because 'Zon don't have any!)

I will admit that the dropping of MIDI ports on AIs is a bit of a mission of mine but interfaces and before those, sound cards ALWAYS had MIDI capability. I am talking SoundBlasters, Terratec, M-Audio...It is the 'posh' end of AIs that seem to have eschewed MIDI? Proper engineering peeps like RME and MOTU, NI, still fit them and at the boggy standard end, Behringer. If you look at magazine reviews of audio gear lots of things have MIDI ports. Synths and pads of course but also amplifiers and FX boxes.

I just feel it is penny-pinching gone mad when you are asked to pay £500 for an interface and then have to fork out another 15 quid to connect your old controller! Not that you can get the adaptor atmo!

Dave.

It's more likely a matter of us old folks getting fussy, the tech usually works fine. :p
Cheeky sod! It was not "us old folk" getting fussy it was several posts I saw a few years ago. The leads seemed to disappear for a time but as I say, maybe they are better now?

I shall buy one when they are back in stock and give it a do. NOT that I need it since I have 3 interfaces with DIN ports and a PC with a 2496 in it...Propar Jobs!

Dave.

Last edited:
Back