New to HD24,,,HELP needed before I dive in!!

zozoe

Right now I'm using a 1" 16 track format, and because of its 1/4" I/O's, the HD24 is where I plan to end up. First, since I plan to have (at least) multiple backups of each song, I'm under the impression that I can use the ethernet output of this unit & backup all 24 tracks to a DVD-R on my computer, clear up my IDE's for other use, and then transfer the DVD data back to the HD24 when I'm ready to further record? Second, is the XR model really worth the extra expense for home demos, and other fun around the house? Lastly, has anyone kept their analog format solely for recording basics onto & flying them over to the HD, maintain that analog glow? Thanks in advance for any & all thoughts!!

zozoe said:
Right now I'm using a 1" 16 track format, and because of its 1/4" I/O's, the HD24 is where I plan to end up. First, since I plan to have (at least) multiple backups of each song, I'm under the impression that I can use the ethernet output of this unit & backup all 24 tracks to a DVD-R on my computer, clear up my IDE's for other use, and then transfer the DVD data back to the HD24 when I'm ready to further record? Second, is the XR model really worth the extra expense for home demos, and other fun around the house?
Both the standard and the XR units are excellent. For home demos and general tinkering, I would think that the standard unit would meet your needs. I recently upgraded my unit to XR, and I'm glad that I did so, but the original HD24 met my needs for five full years quite nicely.

You can do exactly as you plan with the ethernet connection, but please recognize that the HD24's ethernet connection is EXTREMELY slow. It works well, it works reliably, but it works slowly. If you need to be able to move data back and forth quickly between a PC and an HD24, then you probably want to acquire a Fireport. Also, keep in mind that you can back up data from one drive to another within the HD24, so backups don't have to go through a PC.

If the HD24 is your main interest, you may want to join the HD24 discussion group on Yahoo. There are well over 1000 HD24 owners in the group.

You can also lightpipe the audio realtime from your HD24 to the computer if you have a compatible soundcard.

I'll throw in my support for the FirePort. The Ethernet port on the HD24 is only 10 base T, which means its slooooow.

zozoe said:
Right now I'm using a 1" 16 track format(because of its 1/4" I/O's, the HD24 is where I plan to end up. First, since I plan to have (at least) multiple backups of each song, I'm under the impression that I can use the ethernet output of this unit & backup all 24 tracks to a DVD-R on my computer, clear up my IDE's for other use, and then transfer the DVD data back to the HD24 when I'm ready to further record? Second, is the XR model really worth the extra expense for home demos, and other fun around the house? Lastly, has anyone kept their analog format solely for recording basics onto & flying them over to the HD, maintain that analog glow? Thanks in advance for any & all thoughts!!
I would absolutly keep the 1" for basic recording(assuming you can still get 1" tape, I read Quantigy went out of business). Nothinng like drums recorded by tape.Careful backing up with DVD,I do it all the time and have had issues with corrupt files. Not often but it does happen. I would back up to another hard drive in the second bayof the HD or to an external firewire hard drive. I use both to be sure. Forget ethernet crossover cable to transfer to computer, way too slow. If you use Internet Explorer for FTP you will in the end have issues as IE is funky. Alesis recomends softare like " FTP Surfer" It is very good but again very slow. They advise to stay away from IE. I have had problems transfering with IE, sometimes it works,sometimes not. There is a guy at Alesis named Robert Ray from their tech help dept that is very, very good and can help you further with transfer and backup questions. He has been great to me! :)

Back