New to Cubase and failing

kingguy

I'm relatively new to digital recording and quite new to Cubase VST 3.71, but I'm failing miserably at getting my system set up. I have a Win98 machine and a Layla card, and just want to set up analog inputs and do some basic multitrack recording and mixing. I set up and maintain Windows-based networks for a living, and I've been a musician all my life, and I still can't make sense of this thing. Is there a book I need? The manuals for both card and software seem sorely lacking to me. If there's anyone willing to help me out with the basics, plese reply.

Yes.... maybe.....
Make sure that you study the .pdf manual like you would study for finals. It can get really deep sometimes but it is well worth it... if you dont have the .pdf then go to the Steinberg page and get it.... that is key!

Now as far as getting started I would need to know what your tring to record... what type of hardware and equipment u using... etc.

Soundcard setup is also key.... more info in .pdf.... read up on ASIO settings.

Also check your C.Pannel Multimedia settings....

Layla ASIO driver should be selected within VST

Tired of typing...... good luck....

I've found that the context-sensitive help contains information that isn't in the manual (or info that i haven't seen in the manual anyway). That's helped me a LOT. I was stumped about recording in stereo until I hit the help button .

Thanks for the replies. I was losing faith that the manuals contained enough info to get me off the ground, but maybe after another reading or two . . . I'll be back with nore specific questions.

In the meantime, I'm not above buying one of the many 3rd-party books on Cubase as an added resource. Any one of them stand out as particularly readable?

Back