new to cool edit

leobluesy

Hello.......
this look like a great place to sit and read a while.

Im new to computer recording and only have experience 20 yrs using my trusty and simple analogue Fostex 160. Computer based or digital recording seems so complex compared to my 160 4 track.
Im working through various aspects of cool edit and getting a little confused by so many features.
Im also reading my way through..Sound FX by A.Case.
A lot to learn but its very interesting.

One apect in his book related to SPREADING ,,, audio I mean :*)
Enhancement of say.. a single vocal by adding say 30ms delay panned left and 20ms panned right.
So.... now I have the vocal wave on screen... would anyone be able to explain the simplest correct way....... click by click that I could obtain this effect...starting from one dry vocal wave.

many thanks
Leo

Hello.......

Im new to computer recording and only have experience 20 yrs using my trusty and simple analogue Fostex 160. Computer based or digital recording seems so complex compared to my 160 4 track.
Im working through various aspects of cool edit and getting a little confused by so many features.

Enhancement of say.. a single vocal by adding say 30ms delay panned left and 20ms panned right.
So.... now I have the vocal wave on screen... would anyone be able to explain the simplest correct way....... click by click that I could obtain this effect...starting from one dry vocal wave.

many thanks
Leo

You would just highlight the wave by clicking on it, then make a copy of it. In my programs, you should be able to hit "CTRL+C" or right click on it and hit copy. Then go to a different track and hit "paste" and make sure it's lined up with the original track.

From there, the simplest way to do it is to just zoom in pretty close and drag the copied wave to the right 30ms. I used to use cooledit, and there was a way to actually enter the time you wanted it to start by right clicking and selecting an option of some sort, but since I don't remember, just drag it to the right about 30 ms...there's a clock and a timeline at the top or bottom of each program, and make sure it's set to "time" (min/sec/ms) so that you can see where you're dragging it to.

Personally, I wouldn't do two tracks offset with one. Just keep the original where it is and pan it all the way left...take the copy, move it 30ms to the right, and pan it all the way right. See if you like that.

Hello Chris..
I understand that. I will try it.
Thanks a lot for your help........

Leo

I hope it helps...I was thinking about it, and maybe it would actually work better with 3 tracks. Just offsetting one will have more of a chorus effect, which is often good for spreading out guitars, but maybe not so good on a vocal. I may try the "spread" thing, just making sure that the volumes of the copied tracks are just high enough not to be really noticeable, until you mute them. I think I'll try that right now, lol.

This is something I'm working on for somebody else. As usual, I hate it, but it's a pretty good example of how it sounds.

The main vocal is up the middle...I put one on the left at 20ms BEFORE the main vocal, and then one on the right at 30ms AFTER the main vocal.

This effect runs from about the 18 second mark until the 35 second mark.

Suck Clip

spread

Hello Chris
Recording sounds good....... and the effect is subtle.... Im going to try it.
I appreciate your time.... thanksssssss
regards,,
Leo

Hello.......

many thanks
Leo
There's probably an app for that. Oops, I mean...a plug-in effect for that.

Back