new to computer recording

superstupid

I want to start doing computer recording. I have a new Dell Dimension desktop and also an older Gateway laptop. I'll probably be using ACID Pro. Everything I'd be doing would be one track at a time, but I want to be able to do stereo, especially for my drum machine. I'd like to be able to use external equipment so I could record on both, but if I can't get good quality through a parallel or USB port, i'll just do without it. I want to be able to record decent demos, not "pro quality", I realize that costs thousands. I was looking at possibly these:

-Mixer through an Edirol UA1 USB interface w/ RCA jacks.
-M-Audio Duo
-Audiophile 2496 and Audiobuddy prev ( would ditch laptop scheme)

Thanks.

Looking through the boards, I seem to notice a clear dislike for USB inputs. I think I'll probably go with internal sound card. Looking at some M-Audio stuff, what is the main difference between an Audiophile 2496 and a Delta 44, and a Delta 66, besides the number of inputs? I can't afford a 1010, but I could stretch a 44 or a 66, if they are significantly better.

I've never actually heard the Audiophile 24/96, but it is supposedly rather good. However...I don't believe it has balanced connections...the analog connections are unbalanced on RCA jacks I believe. The Delta 44 and 66 both have balanced/unbalanced universal connections on 1/4" TRS jacks; they are exactly the same card and breakout box in fact, except that the 66 has SPDIF digital ins and outs that the 44 doesn't.

If you're sure you don't need SPDIF, I'd say go with the Delta 44 b/c the balanced TRS approach is a bit easier to interface w/ other studio gear. If you need SPDIF, I'd probably recommend you go for the Delta 66 if at all possible. The Audiophile has SPDIF, but the analog connections are a bit more suited to connecting to a stereo system than they are to a studio mixer...it seems to be marketed as a high-end listening solution that also happens to record, as opposed to a recording solution.

If I may interject my own experience w/ M-Audio products, I have owned and used both Delta 44 and Delta 66 cards in various systems, and I think they are decent sounding gear and a pretty good value. Only recently did I replace my Delta 66 with a MOTU-896 FireWire interface b/c the Delta cards seem to have problems running under Logic Audio software products at sampling rates higher than 48khz...so if that would be a use you might have in the future, you may want to take that into consideration, barring a driver update that fixes the problem.
-Frank

What is SPDIF? The only outputting that I'll be doing from the computer will most likely be the monitors and CD's. I want a bare-bones setup, but not one so bare-bones I won't want to upgrade it soon. I'd be recording through mics, possibly direct bass and keyboards sometimes. The software I'll probably use is ACID.

SPDIF is digital. If you want to record from a digital source like a digital mixer, a J-Station's digital outputs, etc... If you don't see the need for it in the future, I wouldn't worry about it (I have yet to use mine on my C-Port).

I don't think there are any major differences in the A/D converters between the Delta 44 and the Audiophile (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so the main difference is the number of tracks you can record at a time. Keep in mind that it's nice to be able to record with a buddy without having to overdub.

ACID is more of a loop-based package - if that's all you're looking to do, cool. Otherwise, I'd look into a multi-track recording package. You can get N-Track for very cheap, and you'll probably get some sort of LE recording package with the card you buy.

Frank P. said:
I've never actually heard the Audiophile 24/96, but it is supposedly rather good. However...I don't believe it has balanced connections...the analog connections are unbalanced on RCA jacks I believe. The Delta 44 and 66 both have balanced/unbalanced universal connections on 1/4" TRS jacks

I highly recommend NOT plugging mics straight into the XLR plugs on M-Audio equipment. The onboard preamps (yes there are 2 mic preamps squeezed onto the card) are not the best quality.

I scored an M-Audio Delta 1010LT for a bit over $200 on eBay. So did this guy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2085407990

10 ins, 10 outs, 24bit 96kHz, midi, spdif, 2XLR (jumpered mic level or line level)

It sounds like the Delta 44 would be my best bet. I only say ACID because I have recorded through a friend's computer running ACID. What are the differences between the different recording softwares, prices as well? I'd be recording mostly 4 minute rock songs, "analog rock", no samples, etc., drum machine is used out of necessity. I want to go digital simply for convenience, no bouncing tracks, cutting tape rewinding etc, not looking for fancy FX (i.e. I prefer going through the vintage mu-tron and big muff instead of a digitech multi-fx)

I would like to spend less than $300 total, between preamp, soundcard, and software. I could stretch it a bit. The soundcard is the one thing I don't want to cheap out on.

Thanks, you all have been very informative.

You record like I do - no freakin' samples or modeling sillyness :)

If you're only doing 2 tracks at a time, you have a bunch of sound card options available. The Delta 1010lt for 200 bones sounds pretty tempting. Check out prices - M-Audio makes good stuff - it's hard to go wrong with an M-Audio product. Maybe get an Audio Buddy preamp, and you're in business.

As far as software goes, you probably need, essentially a digital multi-track tape recorder - something like Cakewalk Sonar, N-Track, Cool Edit Pro, Cubase, etc... I'd look there first. Unless you're on a Mac, stay away from Logic Audio.

I'll probably go for either the Audiophile or Delta 44, along with an Audiobuddy.

Audiobuddy- if I am going direct, say out of a drum machine, would I still use the AudioBuddy, or just plug it into the RCAs?

Direct. Line level signals don't need to be pre-amp'd - usually, just mics. I've heard of some people with keyboards that have a very weak signal and need it, but I've never come across that.

That's one of the big advantages with all of the effects pedals - you can just plug 'em in and go - no preamp needed. But I still prefer throwing a mic in front of an amp - to me, it sounds much better every time.

The drum machine has got to go direct, possibly bass. I'll have to play with miking and bass. All I have is an SM58, and a couple of supercrap mikes that are almost unuseable. I'm going to try to pick up an MXL 603, I've read that they have pretty good freq. response. I'd like to do miked bass because I've never gotten good tone direct.

if you have an amp and run direct from the amp you'll get a much better sound than running direct and using amp modeling within the mixer........try that first, then see if you need to mic...since you are tight on money like the rest of us:)

Back