New to Computer Recording

jamking

This is something I REALLY want to start doing soon in the future, but have no idea where to begin.

I have an average computer (512 megabyte) and no software for recording with it. As far a soundcards, I'm sure I would have to upgrade. I haven't even a clue as to what I would need to plug in to the computer? In the simplest of terms, could someone give me some pointers.

Thanks

what type of sources are you planning to record? and how many inputs at a time would you probably need?

No more than two sources at a time meaning two stereo tracks at once.

The sources would be: electric guitar, bass, digital drums, keys, and eventually vocals.

512MB will do you OK since it doesn't seem like you're gonna be using too many channels, but 1gig of course will make things twice as smooth.

i run 2gig on my recording computer these days and its perfect. my old computer had 1gig and it was fine too, just the processor was a bit on the slow side. i would recommend an upgrade, but 512 is ok for now. unless your graphics card shares in your system memory, then you're really working at less than 512.

oh and nice thread btw about being Just OK i guess. haha! instant classic. :D

Right now, low. I just dropped a grand on guitar effects, so it'll be some time before I can purchase software, etc.

This may sound like waay too much to ask for in software, but I want it to sound as close to radio play as possible. I have enough experience recording (I think :confused: ) to do so, I just don't think I have the equipment......yet.

Audacity is free.

Also, if you get an interface, they usually come with some sort of tracking/mixing software. The software won't be a problem with getting "radio quality" tracks.

check out reaper. $40. I use it for all my projects. ridiculous routing capabilities. low resources. full vst/dx support. it even looks cool now that it has user-designed icons and color schemes. check it out @ www.reaper.fm I would then head over to KVRaudio.com and pick up some more dynamics processors and other free plugins.

-surf

surfmaster said:
check out reaper. $40. I use it for all my projects. ridiculous routing capabilities. low resources. full vst/dx support. it even looks cool now that it has user-designed icons and color schemes. check it out @ www.reaper.fm I would then head over to KVRaudio.com and pick up some more dynamics processors and other free plugins.

-surf

lol all good software should have great routing capabilities regardless... I wouldn't go with any free plug-ins' though, I suggest going out and buying the better hardware. You might want to try Samplitude pro , it's pretty decent in pricing

I tried Reaper. My take is that if you are simply a hobbyist in this for a temporary amount of time and will never spend a dime over $40, then that's probably a good way to spend $40.

On the other hand, for another $40-50, you can get into something like Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio and have a lot more flexibility, future upgradeability, telephone tech support, a user interface that's been around for a few decades, a short learning curve, a product from a company that's been around for decades etc.

At any rate, I've been showing folks these guys as they've consistently had great prices for things I've needed over the past few years. I've turned two or three newbies onto them also and the general consensus is they're good guys for helping people get started with equipment/software selection. Very knowledgeable and not hard sell like some of the bigger chains.

http://www.trycho.com/trychostore/category1.aspx?SID=6&Category_ID=4

what makes Sonar Home Studio less "hobbyist" than Reaper? is it the fancier looking interface and bigger price tag? Reaper is upgraded damn near every week! and tech support means discussing on the forum with the guy who actually made the software, not some outsourced telephone-answering manual-reader.

as far as i'm concerned, Reaper is pro-quality software. very powerful and easy to use.

zed32 said:
what makes Sonar Home Studio less "hobbyist" than Reaper? is it the fancier looking interface and bigger price tag? Reaper is upgraded damn near every week! and tech support means discussing on the forum with the guy who actually made the software, not some outsourced telephone-answering manual-reader.

as far as i'm concerned, Reaper is pro-quality software. very powerful and easy to use.

Agreed. I haven't run into one thing that I've wanted to do that Reaper isn't capable of doing.

2 stereo tracks at once = 4 tracks, just to be clear.

Also, software will have NO bearing on the quality of the recording. Start with free software, until you figure out how everything works. If there is some feature you feel that is missing, then you can upgrade to a more versitile program. Your talent, mics, preamps/interface, instruments and room are what is going to make a difference in the sound, not the software.

Mindset said:
lol all good software should have great routing capabilities regardless...

Yet until VERY recently (and vst 2.3 for native) none did. Audio software is mostly made by people who have never seen a studio, and needent use the product in front of customers to make money. Routing was very low on the priority list until recently when it was FORCED upon them

I wouldn't go with any free plug-ins' though, I suggest going out and buying the better hardware. You might want to try Samplitude pro , it's pretty decent in pricing

http://members.cox.net/pipelineaudio/geartop.htm

I have a lot of the best hardware you could possibly buy, MUCH more than shown on these pics, yet I use many free plugins

BRDTS said:
I tried Reaper. My take is that if you are simply a hobbyist in this for a temporary amount of time and will never spend a dime over $40, then that's probably a good way to spend $40.

Yet reaper is, unlike cakewalk, made by actual audio engineers and for the first time, adressed many of the ignored concerns of said engineers. Perhaps you see more than one change in SOnar 6 that is reaper inspired? Be honest

Back