New to Computer Recording (Advice Needed)

waylay00

I'm an avid guitarist, but I've never been able to record clips of myself. As a result, I've recently had the urge to start a home recording project.

However, I'm not really sure as to what I need to get. I have a guitar amp that I need to record and a bass that I can DI (and possibly a MIDI keyboard). Everything else (drums, mixing, etc,) will be done on the computer. As far as PC specs go, I'm a gamer, so I'm running:

Core 2 Duo Quad Q9450
4GB DDR2800
500GB Seagate SATA Drive
Creative X-Fi Sound Card
Windows Vista 64-Bit

I'd like to be able to:

a) record simple demos of new guitar gear for reviews
b) jam over pre-made backing tracks
c) make my own backing tracks and, eventually, songs

So far, I know that I'll need:

- Mic for guitar (possibly an SM57?)
- Interface for the computer (Presonus Firebox? Mbox 2 Pro?)
- Software (Pro Tools LE? Cubase?)

I don't really want to restrict myself to a budget, as I'd be willing to buy better parts one at a time rather than buying mediocre parts all at once. However, I guess the range of interfaces I've been looking at are from $300-$600 (stuff like the Presonus Firebox, FireStudio Project, Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro, etc.)

I'm just looking for your opinions regarding what I should get. Thanks.

no budget restriction? :eek:

If you really really don't have budget restrictions, I would take a look at the Apogee Rosetta 200 + Firewire adapter card. This doesn't come with a built in preamp though, so you'd have to buy that separately, but with a sweet pre-amp, you'll probably never ever have to upgrade :D

Back on planet earth, it sounds like you'll only be recording a couple tracks at any given time. It's slightly more expensive than the other interfaces you've been looking at, but take a look at the Mackie Onyx 400F. It's only a 4 input box, but it's got excellent pre-amps and converters, and judging from what you want to do, 4 inputs should be plenty.

:D

Well, I should have said that I would be willing to spend more if I absolutely NEED to (for example, if the preamps on the Firebox, Omega, etc. are utter awful and should be avoided at all costs). Otherwise, if they would be fine for my needs now, I would rather not spend more than I have to.

The preamps on all of the Presonus and Lexicon interfaces are of decent quality. Not super hi quality, but certainly not awful junk, either. So are the the preamps on the Edirol and MOTU equipment. I have no info on any of the Digidesign stuff. An SM57 would be a reasonable choice for micing an amp.

The preamps on all of the Presonus and Lexicon interfaces are of decent quality. Not super hi quality, but certainly not awful junk, either. QUOTE]

You are right about that, I own a Lexicon Omega and it's better than what i used to have (Tascam DP-01FX CD 8 track recorder) Cutting and pasting on that thing was horrible, tooooo time consuming. Cubase makes it that much easier and less time consuming (Cubase LE comes with the Omega:D) But yeah if I was you and wanted something to record you demo & thoughts, get a Hard Disk Recorder, or if you looking to build your own home studio that's produces studio quality recordings, get a DAW.

I have a buddy with the Presonus thing and he is really happy with it. I have an RME FF800 which I love, but it is 8 inputs. You might be able to get by withe the Fireface 400.

I think the SM57 is a great choice. If you have a bit more to spend get an SM7 also/instead. Or you could look at an AKG 414 and either a 57 or a SM7. Any of those combos would be good.

For software, look seriously at Reaper. It is rock solid and wicked affordable. I have owned Sonar and run n-Tracks and Cubase... Reaper smokes them all. The plug ins and routing alone make it the best (for me) and the fact that I have never had a crash with it makes it even better.

AND, I run on a crappy old AMD 2400+ computer.

Back