New stuff from Orange

Adam P

I was just looking at Orange's website because I'm going to try to convince my guitarist to check out an Orange 2x12 cabinet instead of another Marshall 4x12, and I noticed that they have some new products that seem like they could be useful in the studio.

One is simple: a 1x12 cabinet with a 100w Celestion at 16 Ohms. I would think this would be nice because it can handle a higher-powered head but one speaker would surely be easier to deal with than 2 or 4. I've heard the bigger Orange cabs and they sound great, so at $350 I'd bet this one would sound really good too.

The other is pretty simple as well: The "Tiny Terror", a switchable 7 or 15w Class A tube head. Three knobs: volume, tone, and gain. A basic, utilitarian tube amp for $550.

Anyone have any experience with this yet, or any thoughts?

Yeah, I would love to hear anyone's review of that new "Tiny Terror." Finally, an Orange amp in my price range.

I played a Tiny Terror last week, and tested it through a Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks. I was a little wary of the single tone control, but it sounded amazing. The tone of the Rockerverbs was definitely emanating from that little box. There wasn't a ton of clean headroom, but distorted, it was the loudest 7/15 watts I've ever heard. I could answer some more detailed questions, if anyone has them.

Almost was willing to sell my DSL 401 for it, until the store offered me less than 200 dollars for the Marshall. Disgusting.

You guys are getting me all juiced up about Orange stuff :)

huh huh huh *lol*

seriously, what would the tone be compared to? not needing the volume, so I don't want to have to crank it up to get things booming- most would be is small club-type place...

I too will sing the praises of Orange stuff (except the "Crush" line, which is their cheap solid-state stuff). I've been playing an AD30 for the last year or so and I can honestly say that I have never heard such beautiful distortion. There's nothing quite like being able to have the gain dimed and master volume cranked and just nailing chord and hearing what each string is contributing. There really isn't a way to describe them, you just have to go play one.

jonnyc said:
The tiny terror is chinese made BTW. Don't doubt it sounds great but being chinese made seems to matter to a bunch of people around these parts.

Until very recently, these were Korean "assembled"...all British parts...guess they've moved production to China now (mine's Korean)...anyway, aside from that, they do sound great, tried mine with just the speaker from my Boogie MK1 Reissue, really liked it a lot, ordered an Orange 1-12 cab today, can't wait to hear that....might even try this once or twice live, as in the studio it seemed to have lots of clean headroom, sort of reminded me of a Fender Deluxe clean, without the reverb and vibrato of course! Can't make a Deluxe do what this does though (without a pedal) when you crank the gain.....very nice, wants to make me throw away the pedals....but I won't, I need footswitchable clean to dirty live, so this will spend most of its time in the studio, or clean in front of the pedal board....anyway, try one out, set on 7w with the gain maxed out, this "sings", depending on the cabinet to a degree!
BW

Back