New Studio Setup- Is this what i need?

ABM-

All I can tell you is that if you were doing this 20 years ago you would have needed to add several zeroes to the end of that cost to get the same kind of equipment. This is a great time to be buying electronics. (Conversely, it's a lousy time to be selling or manufacturing them.)

I really think you're in pretty good shape with your choices. The Behringer stuff doesn't sound that bad, especially for the price. I don't know anything about the MG series, but, knowing Yamaha, they're probably going to sound fine.

Check THIS out for a monitor possibility. Free shipping if you can spend over $299.00 total!

Two other things- For what it's worth, your addition is wrong on your revised list, it only adds up to $895.00, not $915.00! (You can send me the extra $20.00!) The other thing I was wondering was where you are buying SONAR for $200.00? Studio edition sells for $299.00 as far as I know, even the academic version is $249.00. If you're buying it on E-bay, be careful that you're getting a legitimate copy that hasn't been registered. Cakewalk is a great company that trusts it's customers to pay for their product and they reward us by not burdening it with oppressive copy protection. They charge fair prices and offer great support. I think it's in our best interests to weed out anyone trying to pirate the software.

If you're not going to be doing any MIDI, you might try Guitar Tracks Pro 3. You can always upgrade to SONAR later on.

There are other options out there that will still do the job for you. Don't get discouraged!

Ted

Those monitors look really nice. Have you ever heard them? They seem to be perfect for what i am looking at doing. Anymore suggestions for monitors?
I am able to get sonar 3 studio for 200 because i own 3 cakewalk products already. I have guitar tracks 2.0, pyro, and plasma programs which all came free with my digitech gnx3 effects proccessor and amp modeler. Dont worry i am not pirating any software!

ABM-

Ok, I'm glad that you're going legit. I know it's tempting to just take it and Cakewalk makes it easy to do, but they take that chance rather than screw up their software with PACE or a dongle.

I've never used those monitors, but I know they're getting good reviews so I think they would be an excellent choice for you.

The only other place you could shave some money off would be the microphone. The Audio Technica is fine. I liked your original choice of the Studio Projects better, but you're trying to save a few bucks. I suppose you could always get something cheaper like some of the Marshall mics. I've never used them and I'm sure they're not stellar, but you could save $50.00 or $60.00 dollars from your totals.

You're still doing pretty well, I'd say.

Ted

those monitors would be perfect. With those cheaper monitors i could buy the sm57 now, get free shipping and not have to wait till my b-day in september. I am going to samash tomorow to check out the mixers and mics and monitors firsthand. Mabey they will have those monitors there so i can hear them. I dont think i want to go down to the mxl mics because i still want a good quality mic and from what i have heard the at 3035 is extremely close in performance but alot less price.

guhlenn said:
for what it's worth; you are really smart for a 15 year old. You'll get there!

I was thinking the same thing!! When I was 14-15, I was still trying to figure out how to turn on the IBM PCjr that my folks had just bought. 360k floppies and no hard drive!

yeah i saw that and was gonna call musicians friend about them. The "scratches and dents" wouldn't affect the sound right? I have no problem buying cosmetically poor monitors as long as they play just as well as pristine ones. I appreciate it you'all i am not really that smart but I learn extremely fast.

Musician's Friend is a good company and I would trust them. Normally, scratch and dent items are going to have minor flaws that won't affect performance. See if you can negotiate a better price for them, you never know...

Ted

Well today i went to my local samash and talk to the guys in proaudio about what i want. They recomended a 10 input 4 bus yamaha mg series mixer for 270 (it was sweet!) and then some m-audio bx5 monitors. I heard them and they were incredible sounding. (they better for 299!) I will check for a scratch and dent bx5 set at musiciansfriend and if i buy alot of stuff i bet they would deal. Good idea ted.
Today i found out I have to do a "personal project" next year in 10th grade on anything that intrests me... i just have to spend 50 hours on it and come out with a product. WOW i think that me building my studio, and learning how to use it well would be perfect! I have already spent over 25 hours researching things. And then my bands demo would be the project. (thank you God!) Just thought it might make you guys feel good to know you are aiding the youth of america on their schoolwork!!!!!

ABM- I'd still think about the Alesis. They've been getting great reviews and they've got a 7" woofer as opposed to the 5" on the BX5. Not that I'm saying the BX5 is a bad choice, I've got the older SP-5B that those replaced in my studio! But a 5" driver is not going to be able to handle bass frequencies as low as a 7" can.

Still, either would be a good choice. As long as you know that the BX5 isn't capable of producing some frequencies and don't over-compensdate for them when you mix.

Ted

Thanks

Well you all I must start out saying that all of you people out there who helped me and others, using your own free time to help us learn this stuff was a indespinsable aid to me choosing my equipment from a seemingly endless mountain of products. You all help make the near impossible task of building a home studio within the reach of a 15 year old.

With that said I finally began the task of buying this stuff. I think you will be surprised at the deals I got on ebay. (prices include shipping)

Sonar 3 with book (bought from cakewalk)-----------200
Delta 1010lt--------------------------------------------195
C1 mic--------------------------------------------------125
SM57-----------------------------------------------------75
BX5 Monitors------------------------------------------207.5
Sony MDR 7506------------------------------------------60

Drummer got:
soundcraft spirit E8-------------------------------------350
samson 7 piece drum mic set--------------------------224
xlr snake-------------------------------------------------90

Thank you so much! especially :-) Tedluk :)

Save yourself about $450 on Sonar and get N-track for $40 instead. For what you are doing it will do everything you want to do every bit as well as Sonar, and it is much more user friendly. Don't be fooled by the low price. There are threads on this site about it. That money you save could buy a decent LD vocal mic.

yeah i dont think you all understand. I OWN SONAR 3 STUDIO AND DONT NEED ANOTHER PROGRAM. Also i only paid 200 because of the owners discount.

Back