New Studio Projects Stuff

noiseportrait

I was just hanging out at the studio projects forum and they're talking about some pretty cool new stuff that is in the works. First of all they have this new mic cable coming out that is a completely new design. It's supposed to sound better than anything on the market including high end cables, but will be sold at studio projects prices. They also have some affordable heavy duty mic boom stands in the works. On the other side of things,
Alan and the guys are releasing a new mic under Joe Meek, the JM47 that's going to compete with MXL. It's been designed to sound like a v67g, but with some sonic improvements as well as a pad and a filter. Just thought you guys would be interested.

The new mic cable was to be introduced as a replacement for the cables that come with the T3 and has been planned for quite some time. As far as I'm aware that is the only cable planned at this stage.

The proposed boom stands are heavy duty with wheels.

The JM47 has been around for quite some time (relatively speaking) but has apparently undergone some necessary revampng. The JoeMeek mics in general are different to the SP range and are pretty similar to some of the MXL and ADK range seeing as they are coming out of the same factories.

:cool:

darrin_h2000 said:
Im still waiting on reviews for the Toft pre.

I've been told by a pro friend that the preamp is so-so, the compressor is quite nice, but the EQ is REALLY nice.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. Didn't Allan say the Joe Meek stuff would be out about a year ago?

I got a nice V67M from one of our members here. Price was $70 including shipping and shockmount. The seller got back most of his investment, and I got a nice mic for a reasonable price.

I like Studio Projects and their customer support, but I have no inclination to pay $150+ for a V67 clone, pad or no pad. There are scads of V67G on eBay at any given time for $89. An inline pad is not expensive, and being external to the mic, is one less thing to go wrong with the mic.

I read a review to that effect...Fletcher wrote it...but the pre was on parr with the grace stuff, compared to what he had access to it wasnt as good...but thats Fletcher.:rolleyes:

That meek mic has been arround for years...I read it was like a mxl2001 or something...but I have no practical experience with them.

Toft unit reviewed in Tape Op

I believe tony Viscontti (sp?) "guest" reviewed the unit and gave it a glowing review ....... especially the EQ section which he described as worth the price alone.

I beleive he makes note of of the fact that the compressor is post eq only but says (or editor says) that a pre/post switch will be added in future versions.

Also the roll off is from 50hz and not 60hz cuz its a Brit.

Tony gave it such praise that he was asked to do a sponsorship kind of thing.

It is on my serious consideration list as I am researching and gearing up for my 1st "real" pre-amps.

-mike

as far as the pad on the 67 goes....if you are planning on using a 67 in a situation where it needs a pad, it would be better to have a pad in the mic as oposed to external. so, buying the sp mic with a pad may not be such a bad thing.

on the toft dual channel that fletcher talked about...

i talked with fletcher about this once. he told me that he sort of regretted his comments about the toft but he was speaking his mind. he was telling me he gets to use the best mic pres on the planet so why use something that sounds like it cost under $1,000. and, he did mention the grace 101 as an example. however, he thought the eq and compressor (the eq in particular) in the toft were pretty damn good. i think his rec is a pretty strong one for a product under $1,000.

i do note that toft is supposed to come out with a dual eq in the future. i'm looking forward to this coming out.

Back