New Studio in the works, help appreciated

Jef Gibbons

Hello all, I'm new to this forum, but it looks amazing! I'm in the process of building a new studio in the carport of the house my wife and I will be renting from her parents. I'll start this thread with a simple question and post back later with many more design questions. Here it is; does anyone have any simple plans they could share with me to give me an idea of what I could do with a space that measures 20' by 15' with the hopes of having a control room and an iso booth/studio that could comfortably contain at least a drummer? I hope to have a window from the Control room to the studio, and I think we're going to go for a building that is a room within a room. Our budget is limited to around $10,000 CDN, but seeing as how it won't be attached to any part of the house, complete sound-proofing is not totally necessary. Thanks so much for any help, I'll post back with many questions!
Jef

Thanks John, I did just that. I really appreciate how much you reply to people like me! I searched this forum for other people's threads, realizing there is a ton already here on this site! I took a bunch of different designs that people have been posting just to get an idea.

I really like the Garage plan 2 on the SAE site. That's all I really need for now, 2 rooms, one bigger control room and one smaller room to track in (studio/vocalbooth/drum room). The building we are putting up will probably be my studio for at least 5 years until my wife and I will move and get our own place (we'll be renting the house from her parents for now, but they're helping us build the studio, pretty sweet!)

Anyhow, we want to make it relativlely sound proof, but it may become just a spare building for the people after us, so it needed be completely hardcore in design. We're hoping to put around $10,000 CDN into it, and want to make it a small peaked building (starting from the ground up).

We already have the concrete carport, and could stand to make it around 20' by 16' by whatever height would be best. I also cheecked out your site to see if there were any other similar plans to what I want and didn't find too much (I was maybe looking in the wrong spot?) Anyhow, if there are similar plans that you or anyone could share with me I'd be eternally grateful! I'm ordering a couple books, and spending all nights searching and researching on the net.

I'm very excited about all of this, also a bit overwhelmed, but I'm sure thankful for places like this! Thanks for any input,
Jef

Plans are getting closer, we take possession of the place in 5 days, then we will be able to draw up some plans and really get going on this thing. We are going to go with the room within a room plan, float the 2nd floor (glued) on hockey pucks, and make sure that the inner wall is separate from the outer wall, but the question is can we put in a double window for air circulation and light (one double glazed window on the outside wall, one on the inner wall, both sealed in). Does this defeat the purpose of our soundproofing? Is this done often? Thanks for the tips, I'll be back here with MANY questions in a few days!

So all you're keeping from the pre-existing carport is the concrete floor?

If that's so, that'll still save you a fair amount. I am not sure you can bring the project in for $10K unless you do a lot yourself. I had a slightly smaller studio built for that as part of my whole house construction and builder and I figured out the cheapest way was to go with cinder blocks filled with sand. The height of the building is not very much of an incremental cost, so you can build high ceilings and consider a loft area. All windows are fixed pane. Then you can do a traditional roof with a suspended ceiling. The siding can just be stucco, which looks pretty sweet.

You might find this is cheaper than stagger stud, although the framing for that you could do yourself.

Just thinkin out loud...

Being from California I seem to remember that the ground sometimes decides to move a bit. Maybe a problem with cinder block construction not sure though.

Ryan

Back