New strokes song.

Zeppelin456

Banana Co
Not sure whether this belongs in this forum but I wanted to get a general opinion...

The Strokes' new single that's been all over radio and such is 12:51. I've been a strokes fan since around when they started getting all that hype, and while I've never loved them, I've always been a casual fan. The intentionally thing production was always gimmicky but nice....until I heard 12:51.
Does ANYONE else notice how low in the mix the vocals are? The guitar is the main hook but the vocals are just so low, it sounds plain ridiculousu on the radio!! I wanted to know if anybody else had heard theh song and maybe had an opinion.

There really oughta be a forum for grading professional stuff that's out there.

thats all part of their plan for sounding like crap....same idea with the white stripes and these other bands that have no guitar and 2 bass players and all that crap. they meant to do it which is what bothers me so much....that dude can afford a better mic but its all part of their sound. think about how many people at their record company had to sign off on that before they could release it....that was definitely intentional and i think its about the worst thing I've heard from them

God I hate the Strokes... right up there with the White Stripes or Le Tigre.

Just my opinion..... sorry... couldn't resist! :D

ls

Zeppelin456 said:
The intentionally thing production was always gimmicky but nice....until I heard 12:51.
Does ANYONE else notice how low in the mix the vocals are? The guitar is the main hook but the vocals are just so low, it sounds plain ridiculousu on the radio!! I wanted to know if anybody else had heard theh song and maybe had an opinion.

my opinion :

Indeed I think its a gimmick gone too far. At first they were scrappy and endearing (to some) but with this new song they sound like a parody of themselves. Maybe thats their intention. The sort of sloppy "we don't care" because its cool has worn itself out I think. It seems a little fake to me now.

I agree, the vocals are oddly low, makes you think if your tv has a problem with the recording.
Then again, the song is really nice, the synthy guitar is cool too. I prefer this to their Kinks sounding songs, its more original.

the whole album is terrible i think.

I wanna know how it was passed by the record comapny, this album is deffinatlly not radio friendly.

It's amazing how major corporations can change little aspects of the recording to ensure the artist's "integrity" with their "rebellious" audience.

I understand what you MFs are saying. I just wish they would actually just record the albums on a Tascam Potastudio and be done w/ it. I personally LOVE the way cassette multi-track recordings sound. Its sounds to me like they are trying to make better equipment sound shitty which doesn’t work as well. That being said I really like the Strokes despite the hype.

And didnt the White Stripe do their record in Jolly Old on all pre-1970’s equipment?

Yup they aired an interview with Jack White on WBCN all about it. He also said he was against all digital computer recording because it allows so many people to put really shitty music out there too easily. I suppose he's refering to most of this board, myself included :)

some shitty musicians like a challenge so they damn all digital to hell and take their little fisher price "my first karaoke" machine and say "I'm anti establishment but please by my record"

I actually think the Strokes are a good band -- they know the sound they want and they go with it. The vocals are low in the mix because they use condensers very interesting -- their singer sings very quietly into the mic in a padded room and sometimes from a distance and then pushes the gain on the mic to give it tube-crunch. Kinda cool.

And the vocals are a little low but that's to emphasize that amazing guitar sound over it -- I thought it was a keyboard until I heard the pick on the strings.

Back