new speakers/old cab

docpaul

I've got a marshall 2x12 cabinet (1936) with celestion 75's. I am thinking about changing them out with a vintage 30 and a g12m. I read somewhere that this is a good combo of speakers for a 2x12, but I'm wondering if the speaker cab itself is subpar. In other words, would I be wasting good speakers on a crappy cabinet?

It is possible to cram any speaker into any cabinet, but for good sound, one must match the cabinet to the speaker. There is an old book (by Radio Shack) which discusses this in depth. Cabinet design is based on the resonant frequency of the speaker(s, physical size, placement, and ventilation. Also, you should consider replacing the crossover circuit or you may get a distorted sound.

It is usually better to build a cabinet to the speaker(s)

play4cj said:
It is possible to cram any speaker into any cabinet, but for good sound, one must match the cabinet to the speaker. There is an old book (by Radio Shack) which discusses this in depth. Cabinet design is based on the resonant frequency of the speaker(s, physical size, placement, and ventilation. Also, you should consider replacing the crossover circuit or you may get a distorted sound.

I think actually the cab design is used to control the response of the speakers(to an extent). Porting and venting are used to shape bass response, for instance.

Myself, i wouldn't worry too much. I'd be pretty confident that Marshall put in some effort to make the cab sound good for guitar. After that it comes down to whether you like the sound or not.

ps-guitar cabs don't use crossovers. don't worry about it.

play4cj said:

That's good advice for PA speakers and monitors but guitar cabs aren't really that scientific. Changing speakers in guitar cabs is pretty common.

Back