New speaker for my Vox AC4TV... help/suggestions appreciated!

drummerboy_04AP

Hey all,

So, I blew the stock speaker in my Vox not too long ago, so its time to upgrade. I'm thinking of getting a new cab and using the speaker extension output, but I have three questions:

1.) When using the speaker ext. out, will the stock speaker still be powered?

2.) Will this amp be able to push 2 10" speakers?

3.) What kind of speaker(s) would you recommend?

This is assuming that a 10" speaker will not fit in this amp... but is this true? If not, that would be a much cheaper and preferred route to take.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Alex

Reactions: JCH
Hey all,

So, I blew the stock speaker in my Vox not too long ago, so its time to upgrade. I'm thinking of getting a new cab and using the speaker extension output, but I have three questions:

1.) When using the speaker ext. out, will the stock speaker still be powered?

2.) Will this amp be able to push 2 10" speakers?

3.) What kind of speaker(s) would you recommend?

This is assuming that a 10" speaker will not fit in this amp... but is this true? If not, that would be a much cheaper and preferred route to take.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Alex

AC4TV's have 10" speakers, most of them anyway. There were a few 8" that were made, and they make a mini with a 6 1/2". Can you see through the grill cloth? I had never tried plugging mine into an ext. cab. I was surprised by how different it was from the Vox's Celestion. I tried it with both a 1x12, and 2x10 cabs. The 1x12 has a vintage alnico that was a pull-out from a 50's Whurlitzer organ in an open back box. It sounds pretty good through the 12. There's more bottom end of course, but all in all I liked it. The 2x10 is a sealed box with a pair of cheap Jensen Mods in it. It's was louder than I expected, but didn't sound as nice as the 12.

The amps speaker doesn't play when an extension cabinet is plugged in. Make sure the cabinet you plug in is 16 ohm.

Unless you want to significantly change the sound of the amp, you should replace the speaker with something like the original Celestion.

Hey, thanks for the responses. Ya, I don't know why I was thinking mine was an eight inch, its def a 10. That makes me wonder why it blew so easily?? I mean, sure, I crank it a lot, and use the neck pickup on my paul with decent bass... is that enough to do it?

Anyways, I came across this while watching vids on youtube: Cool Information About The Vox AC4TV Series: Other Amps: The Gretsch Pages

This contradicts what you were saying about making sure it is a 16 ohm speaker. I read through it, and it kind of made sense, but at the same time is way over my head. Anyone have any thoughts about how this would work out. Particularly without doing any of the mods, just because I'm not looking to get that far into this project... drums are my main thang

This contradicts what you were saying about making sure it is a 16 ohm speaker. I read through it, and it kind of made sense, but at the same time is way over my head. Anyone have any thoughts about how this would work out. Particularly without doing any of the mods, just because I'm not looking to get that far into this project... drums are my main thang
Thanks for the link
That guy makes a pretty good argument, but I don't put a lot of credence in what some of these message board gurus have to say. I don't think it would be a good idea because of the built-in attenuator. With any attenuator, proper speaker load is more critical. At an 8 ohm load. It would have to dissipate twice the wattage. That is probably the reason for the 16 ohm out in the first place. Will it harm the amp?, I don't know. I'd think twice about it though.

Some of those guy's that are into modding low power amps aren't satisfied until their little frankenamps are something totally different from what they started out as. I wonder how many valve juniors were ruined because of mods gone wrong.

Two things.

1) This thread is over a year old.

2) No one knows if the speaker would be worth it but you. Go to Celestion's website and check out their different speakers. Almost all of their speakers have audio or video clips that will compare the sound of each speaker. Compare whatever speaker you have now with whatever speaker you're looking at getting and decide from there.

i was more talking about technical detail like wattage and ohms and whether the speaker would be suited to the amp without blowing it up. im sure there are people in the know in this forum that could give advice.

i was more talking about technical detail like wattage and ohms and whether the speaker would be suited to the amp without blowing it up.

Well, the ohms things should be in your user manual. If you don't still have that, it may say on the back of the amp or you could download the manual online.

If I'm not mistaken, you could technically use ANY wattage speaker in the amp, it's just a matter of how loud you're cranking the amp and how many watts the amp can put out that'll affect if it'll blow the speaker or not. Google tells me those amps are switchable from 4 watts to 1 or even 1/4 watts. The speaker you specified was a 30Watt speaker cone, so I doubt you're going to be able to overload that speaker with a 4 watt amp unless you get pretty creative.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention that tube amps and solid state amps differ in that tube amps technically can put out more watts than their rated at (I think Greg posted an article a long while ago about how tube amps work and that was in it. Something about how tube amps are rated at the point their power tubes start to saturate or something like that, I can't recall.), so you may be able to put out more than 4 watts with that amp, but I don't think it'll be 7.5 times as many watts as it's rated at.

Back