New soundcard - now loud hum?!

Keyz316

Hey -

I just got an Echo Mia soundcard for my system (Athlon XP 1800+, Asus A&V266-E, 512MB DDR2100)....

I installed it just fine, plugged the L and R 1/4" (Livewire) cables from the back of my keyboard (Yamaha Motif) into the appropriate inputs on the soundcard. I then realized I wouldn't be able to hear the output in stereo yet since I don't have the right adapter for either my headphones or cheap soundsystem (which is soon to be replaced with monitors)... but I thought oh well, mono is fine for just testing. So I plugged my headphones (AKG K240M - and they work perfect) into one of the outs on the soundcard and heard a nasty hum going on.... I tried switching the cables every which way, but no luck. I don't think there's a problem with the cables, since I just moved them from my Roland KC-500 amp straight into the soundcard, and they worked fine on the amp.

The hum is present only on Input 1 it seems, and is lessened if both cables are plugged in. On the Mia Console, the level on the Analog In is fluctuating at a little under -40.... I'm a newbie and don't know what the terms are btw - sorry ;)

Anyhow... any help would be great.
By the way... I'm planning on getting a Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro mixer (or similar).... was going to wait and save a little more money - but in case I'm going to be needing to buy new cables or anything - should I go ahead and get that now?... don't want to buy new cables for a temporary solution and then have to get different ones for the Mackie (or if they will be the same cables either way, let me know - remember I'm a noob hehe)

Thanks!!

-- David

Is all of yor equipment plugged into the same outlet or an outlet that has a common ground? If not, then it may be a problem with grounding.

Try plugging the Motif into your computers powerstrip and see if it goes away or is reduced.

This would be my first bet.

That was right on the money... thanks man :D

Is this something a "normal" person can fix (with the house's electrical) or something that I need to call an electrician for... or even maybe something too involved to even bother with?

Should I get a power conditioner (not necessarily for that outlet, just in general).. and if so, could someone recommend one thats good but cheap? ;)

Thanks again.
Peace.

-- David

It's something you can fix but it'll cost you a little. Essentially, what you want to do is have the outlets in the room you are recording in connected to a common ground. Unfortunately, this usually means ripping out existing drywall which normally isn't an option.

As long as you don't have too much equipment, just daisy chain everything off power strips. Anything that isn't connected to your DAW (i.e. guitar amps) connect to the outlet that was giving you the hum. Keep in mind that if you do this, you shouldn't use the direct out from the amp the soundcard or else the *hum* will return.

Glad it helped though.

Oh yeah, to answer your question. The above is a cheap way to do it without getting your room re-wired.

You shouldn't need a power conditioner. It's my understanding that a power conditioner is designed to give you a clean and constant voltage outlet. In your case, you would still have the a difference in potential to ground which wouldn't remove the hum. I would recommend not wasting your money on a power conditioner just yet.

Back