New soundcard, first try

Swede

Hi! I just bought myself a delta1010lt and started playing with it a few days ago.

The result can be found at:

http://livin4.com/~swede/

The song hasn't got a name, so for now it's called noname.

Gear used:

Delta 1010lt and the onboard preamps
Sonar 2.0
Roland RS-5 keyboard
Behringer XM8500 mic

Monitoring trough 2 pairs of Bookshelf speakers trough a hifiamplifier (I can A/B the speakers). I also used a pair of Audio-technica ATH-M40fs headphones. This monitoring chain is in need of an upgrade, I know.

Well, what do you think? I am not yet really finnished with the drum-programming and I should do a re-take on the synth-melody. But If you disregard this, how can I make my mix better?

I like the beginning...that's a real trumpet right?

The rest of the song just screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeams for real instrumentation. I can hear your intentions, but it sounds a little....eh....silly right now (sorry ;) )

If you insist on using these synth sounds, you should start by replacing the bass sound with something mighty beefier and dirtier...in fact, everything could use a little dirt. IMHO of course...

Jan Hammer lives on!

I agree with Pedullist about some real instrumentation. I could here some very funky guitar parts in there at points. Even some distorted guitar doubling the main synth bass line.

Either way, it's your song. As it is, I think it's great!

without rendering an opinion on the music itself- the recording seems real quite- could probably crank it up a bit- i played it in winamp and the level meters barely move

Pedullist:

Yeah, that's me playing the trumpet.

I have recorded the trumpet playing doubling the melody, but I cut it out cause the mix ended up to muddy. Maybe I should try to put it back and tweak it a bit.

Do you think I should replace that synth solo in the end with a trumpet-solo? Well, I'm gonna try it anyway.

I'll se what I can do with the bass. I really liked this sound but there isn't very much low end in it, so maybe I could double the bass with another beefier sound, maybe an octave down or something.

Emeric:
To bad I can't play the guitar, it would really help the song.
BTW Glad you liked it! Who is Jan Hammer?

Kremitmusic:
I know, maybe a limiter would help. This is just a first rough mix though. I'll try maximizing the volume later on.

Thank you for responding!

I'll try to incorporate your suggestions and I'll upload the results later.

Ok guys, now I've added some trumpet and a new synth-bass and done some remixing. I still have a lot of work to do on this one.

How do you like the trumpet-sound? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Whoaaa!!

I know it's not good practice to post in my own thread, but.....

There was some serious low end problems with my song and I didn't even notice it on my shitty stereo. The bass was.. well WAAAAAYYY TO LOUD!! I hope I didn't ruin anyones equipment.

Anyway I've fixed the problem now (I hope) and now there's an updated version of noname2 on my site http://livin4.com/~swede/

I'd really like some input on the trumpet-sound especially on the solo in the end of the song. I've used quite alot of reverb, but I'm not shure if it's to much.

Oh, I meant that maybe I shouldn't have posted in my own thread until anyone replied. I think the term doing this is bumping. Ah, nevermind.

Back