New song - used MSH-1 mics in dummy head

JasonB93117

www.Soundclick.com/BlankStare

The new one is "Quick Fix"

The dummy head has two MSH-1 mics for ears. I recorded the background vocals with the head running to a stereo track. Twice through, once from behind on the left side, then from behind on the right. Check it out yo.

P.S. Sorry about the drums... I don't play the drums. My friend gave me a junior kit and I figured why the fuck not? The recording is just to get some ideas down and develop the song anyway.

Sounds good. I like the verses, the guitar gets a little strident on the choruses. I think maybe that would be controllable by leaning back a little during those parts.

Got a picture of the head yet? :D Can't wait to see it.

mshilarious said:
Sounds good. I like the verses, the guitar gets a little strident on the choruses. I think maybe that would be controllable by leaning back a little during those parts.

You should have heard the chorus with the out of tune electric guitar. Now THAT was bad. But yeah, the acoustic jumps out in a bad way. It's really just a way to develop the song. I won't put this on my multi-mullion-dollar-making album.

rayc said:
Are you trying for a binaural recording?

Not sure what you mean, I recorded the background vocals with the dummy head. The rest of the stuff was just "normally" multi-tracked.

Check it out with a pair of headphone and see what you think. I think I need to make ears for my little friend! Then it might be more 3d, guess we will see. Pictures coming soon!

JasonB93117 said:
You should have heard the chorus with the out of tune electric guitar. Now THAT was bad. But yeah, the acoustic jumps out in a bad way. It's really just a way to develop the song. I won't put this on my multi-mullion-dollar-making album.

Not sure what you mean, I recorded the background vocals with the dummy head. The rest of the stuff was just "normally" multi-tracked.

Check it out with a pair of headphone and see what you think. I think I need to make ears for my little friend! Then it might be more 3d, guess we will see. Pictures coming soon!

Binaural recordings are where the recording sounds like it's below you, above you, etc. That's usually what dummy heads are used for. ;)

I listened to your song (on headphones) and it does sound kind of '3d', everything seems to have more 'space'. Things sit well in the mix, not just because how they were mixed but how they were recorded.

Good song, too. :)

Quick fix.
I had major probs getting the thing to run - sounclick must've been having probs.
Yeah the drums are more than a bit you know...
Nice song, very intimate recording. You ought to re do the drums ASAP. At least drop the bass drum from range.
Binaural was very trendy for a very short time but as it required h/phones to be heard properly & was a hassle to record in it lost favour quickly.
Lou Reed recorded at least 2 LPs with the process - Take No Prisoners & the Bells. Worth a listen, on h/phones, to hear what the dummy ead can do. There are several discussion forums/essays on line re the technique.
EARS are essential to the process as they CAPTURE & direct the sound to the mics.

Back