new song to bash

onestu3

I needed a good bashing so I decided to make a song and let you guys punch me in the face for a while. When I listen to music on this forum, I am usually amazed and I start talking about how shitty my music is. I wish I could just let it go but I think the more help I get the better. Please give me criticism on anything you hear. Thanks.

"Cant Help Me"
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=988079

I enjoyed it. It kind of feels like it's lacking something to me, i really can't put my finger on it. Someone more experienced can probably tell you exactily what it needs. I liked the harmony parts on the vocals, I would bring those up just a bit.

Great job!

I would say this. It seems for one thing like everything is panned dead center. Think of your music as though it's coming out of a big box with three dimensions. If you want your music to be three dimensional, you need music emanating from all parts of the box. Front to back is volume. The louder tracks will sound more up front. Side to side is panning. You need instruments panned out like they might be on a stage during a live performance. Artists don't line up in a line in the center of the stage. Top to bottom is frequency. The lows come out of the bottom of the box, the highs, come out the top. If you work to have a balance of all of these things it will naturally sound better. Make the featured parts louder and more centered. Drums should never be much off center, it sounds too wierd. Back up instruments to the sides so they balance out. Make sure you have a good spread of frequencies through out the mix. Hope this will help.

Wow. Thank you for the suggestions. All of these things were a problem. I think I will remix this song tomorrow with the input from you guys.

I would say this. It seems for one thing like everything is panned dead center. Think of your music as though it's coming out of a big box with three dimensions. If you want your music to be three dimensional, you need music emanating from all parts of the box. Front to back is volume. The louder tracks will sound more up front. Side to side is panning. You need instruments panned out like they might be on a stage during a live performance. Artists don't line up in a line in the center of the stage. Top to bottom is frequency. The lows come out of the bottom of the box, the highs, come out the top. If you work to have a balance of all of these things it will naturally sound better. Make the featured parts louder and more centered. Drums should never be much off center, it sounds too wierd. Back up instruments to the sides so they balance out. Make sure you have a good spread of frequencies through out the mix. Hope this will help.

great advice. I knew we all lived in a box. cool song!

I liked it, liked the performance as well..cool stuff

Just remember to give each instrument space as guitar zero says, basically EQ gives you height, panning gives you width, delay and reverb give you depth...keep the bass, kick and snare, generally panned in the middle then give everything else is own space in that 3D world in front, and I mean panned/depth as far out as sounds good, not just off centre...sorry if that's teaching a granny to suck eggs..

I didnt like the tone of the electric though..I bet it sounds far thicker before recording it..try retracking exactly the same part, maybe with some harmonising as well, and pan it somewhere else in the mix....or get it as distorted as you think it should be, then turn the distortion down a notch..that always seems to work ;)

Just replaced the song on soundclick with a new remixed version of the song. Now that I think about it, I should have left the old one up as a point of reference but oh well. I didn't see the suggestion about the electric until after I had posted, I might go back and take another look at that seeing as that has been a problem for me since I started playing guitar. I need to turn the distortion down. Thanks for the input.

Good song...I like the sound,style and tone of vocals.

Who is singing...definately have potential to be in a modern sounding band based on this one song.

What drums are you using...kind of sounds like ezdrummer.

I wouldnt mind taking a crack at mixing some of your tunes...really like the vibe and modern sound to some of your newer tunes.

wow. thanks for the compliment. I don't really know how to get you any of my mixes. If there is a way to zip an entire project with audio files then that might work. Not really too familiar with that. Send me an email onestu3@yahoo.com oh and yes, that is ezdrummer and that is me singing, and playing all instruments, other than drums of course. Thanks again

Back