New Song - "Saturday" - Slop Rock

I really like the distorted rhythm guitar sound. Really full and powerful.

Didn't care for the lead tone. Too wimpy.

Vocals sounded OK. I'd back off the doubled lead track a good 6 dbs or so. Make the effect a bit more subtle. I'd raise the answer-back vocals maybe 3 dbs or so. they're a bit too far back.

I really liked this, reminds alot of Bad Company, I thought the bass could use some sub lows under 100hz, (it will make the mix sound alot bigger) The lead comes in very loud which is OK but its a bit too much. Over all real nice job, enjoyed listening!

Love the vibe in this! and the guitar sounded great but the vocals jumped up in down in volume between parts a bit too much for my liking!

I really like the distorted rhythm guitar sound. Really full and powerful.

Didn't care for the lead tone. Too wimpy.

Vocals sounded OK. I'd back off the doubled lead track a good 6 dbs or so. Make the effect a bit more subtle. I'd raise the answer-back vocals maybe 3 dbs or so. they're a bit too far back.

Thanks for listening man. It's funny how you honed in on the things that I rushed...The vocals and the lead. I always try to get away with the loud doubled vocal track...:o nice call :D. I fixed the lead and the vocals and it sounds much better (I didn't update the posted file though).
I must have re-recorded those guitar rhythms 30 times, in 6 months, with all manner of gear. I finally ended up with three, doubled tracks. I used a LP into a 5150 head raping a little Marshall 1x12 combo :eek:. Then I did two more with the LP and Strat using a POD.
Thanks again for the accurate nits!
:D:cool:

i liked it...nice job....on the mix, vocals and lead seemed a bit high during the break..but nothing else Id really notice

funny thing is i was hearing the kings of leon's first album when this started...even your vocals. I dont like this period of rock (shock horror) but Id love to hear you do something contemporary with this sound though...I reckon you'd pull it of easily

nice job Brad

Man... This seems like a great mix of ZZ-top, Bad Company and BTO. heh... Your snare sound rocks. I love the subtle ring-out. Guitars sound awesome. Great harmonies...

The part of the song where the kick just thumps, it seems a bit dry... I'd put a bit-o-verb on it... Like the same verb you put on your snare...

Dude... Your guitars just rock! I love the sound! Nice, full, rockin'... First thing I did when the distortion came in was TURN THE SUCKER UP! Almost a compulsive reaction, actually... Solo guitar sounds great, too.

The only real nit I have, is ... I wish your lead vocals had a bit more bite to em'... Seemed like you may have been a bit tipsy when you recorded em'? heh... Kind of slurred a bit here and there. Also, the ending seemed a bit abrupt, but only because I really, really enjoyed listening to it. Add 2 or 4 more measures of rockin' guitars with a lead outro on top of the chorus vocals, and that'd be the icing on the cake.

Great tune, great performance, great recording, and great mix! Kudos, man.

The vocals are a little harsh in the upper mids - particularly during the chorus. Rhythm guitars sound okay to me. The lead is terrible. Bad tone and it's sitting on top of the mix instead of in it. It sounds like it doesn't belong. The drums sound super small and wimpy for the song. Not too bad overall though. The song is super cheesey. What the hell year is it anyway? :D

I really liked this, reminds alot of Bad Company, I thought the bass could use some sub lows under 100hz, (it will make the mix sound alot bigger) The lead comes in very loud which is OK but its a bit too much. Over all real nice job, enjoyed listening!

Hmmm... I may be on to something...I've got that Bad Co. comparison before :). Nothing wrong with that, I love'm, but I think it's more indicative of me having an extremely dated sound and being unwilling to change ;). I fixed that lead and bass too - thanks for the tips :D:cool:

Love the vibe in this! and the guitar sounded great but the vocals jumped up in down in volume between parts a bit too much for my liking!

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. I was real happy with the vibe too until I put my vocals on it :eek:. I think it was that doubled lead vox track that was way too hot - if I were to blame my overall poor vocals abilities on something :D.

i liked it...nice job....on the mix, vocals and lead seemed a bit high during the break..but nothing else Id really notice

funny thing is i was hearing the kings of leon's first album when this started...even your vocals. I dont like this period of rock (shock horror) but Id love to hear you do something contemporary with this sound though...I reckon you'd pull it of easily

nice job Brad

Thanks man. Thank you for confirming my non-contemporary, moldy, crustiness! I wear it proudly :D;). Seriously, I need to explore more bands like Kings of Leon (whom I've also been compared to before :confused:) and see if I can't come up with something more relevant to this century :D:D:cool:

Updated mix 12/23/10

Man... This seems like a great mix of ZZ-top, Bad Company and BTO. heh... Your snare sound rocks. I love the subtle ring-out. Guitars sound awesome. Great harmonies...

The part of the song where the kick just thumps, it seems a bit dry... I'd put a bit-o-verb on it... Like the same verb you put on your snare...

Dude... Your guitars just rock! I love the sound! Nice, full, rockin'... First thing I did when the distortion came in was TURN THE SUCKER UP! Almost a compulsive reaction, actually... Solo guitar sounds great, too.

The only real nit I have, is ... I wish your lead vocals had a bit more bite to em'... Seemed like you may have been a bit tipsy when you recorded em'? heh... Kind of slurred a bit here and there. Also, the ending seemed a bit abrupt, but only because I really, really enjoyed listening to it. Add 2 or 4 more measures of rockin' guitars with a lead outro on top of the chorus vocals, and that'd be the icing on the cake.

Great tune, great performance, great recording, and great mix! Kudos, man.

Wow, thanks man! I'm glad you felt what I worked hard to convey with the guitar into thing - turn it up! It took a long time to get the sound I wanted. With the vox, I wasn't drinking this time, maybe I should when I track the vox, maybe more courage, huh? I keep practicing, but my voice just seems to stay the same :(.

I'm happy you like the drums (cuz ur sound is phenomenal), but of course these were just loops (Drum Werks) that I spend alot of time tweaking, so I decided not to redo them with my usual Steven Slate stuff. The flams during the breakdown sounded weak, so, in this updated version, I doubled them with another snare hit. I fixed a bunch of other stuff too (still my voice :(:o), so if you have time, let me know what you think. :D:cool:

The vocals are a little harsh in the upper mids - particularly during the chorus. Rhythm guitars sound okay to me. The lead is terrible. Bad tone and it's sitting on top of the mix instead of in it. It sounds like it doesn't belong. The drums sound super small and wimpy for the song. Not too bad overall though. The song is super cheesey. What the hell year is it anyway? :D

Thanks for the listen Greg. I agreed and pulled some upper mids from the vox. Most of that was caused by my doubled lead vocal being too loud. I fixed the lead; I hope. The drums... meh...old loops, too lazy to rewrite with SSD and worked fine for the cheesey song. Hey, I warned you it was cheesey and as for the year...I'm hopelessly stuck in the 80's, but my stuff comes out all time warped from the 70's to the 2000's with few redeeming qualities from any decade:eek:. Oh well ;):D

Listened to the updated mix, and I love the song. The performances are great. Who cares what era this comes from. I do see what Greg is saying about the drums though. Seems like this type of song should have a kick that you not only hear, but feel in your chest. I don't get that in this mix. Snare sounds great to me. I love the rhythm guitar tone, it's perfect for this song. Don't care for the lead tone, as mentioned earlier. Vocals sound just about right to me in this new mix. Love the little interlude at 2:15 or so. Great change of pace, keeps the interest up. Nice job overall methinks.

Listened to the updated mix, and I love the song. The performances are great. Who cares what era this comes from. I do see what Greg is saying about the drums though. Seems like this type of song should have a kick that you not only hear, but feel in your chest. I don't get that in this mix. Snare sounds great to me. I love the rhythm guitar tone, it's perfect for this song. Don't care for the lead tone, as mentioned earlier. Vocals sound just about right to me in this new mix. Love the little interlude at 2:15 or so. Great change of pace, keeps the interest up. Nice job overall methinks.

Thanks a lot GZ! I've got that lead in my sights this very minute. It's not good when you're a guitar player and nobody is diggn' the lead tone! I'm gonna try some different tones, but I'm suspecting people's ears are waiting for some blues scales and I game'm some happy major melodic crap just to be different. The kick is married to the snare, unfortunately - used loops :o on this one. I did shave some low off that track though....hmmm
:D:cool:

Back