New song put the MR-8 to the test

flat-9

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2683&alid=-1

Hi,

I haven't been around for a while...having to much fun with the MR-8 and a homegrown website. I was going to post a couple of songs in January but I wanted wait till I got to know this toy better. The song 'Bedlam' was composed & recorded exclusively for my own personal test of the unit, dumped to the PC, slightly tweaked with CoolPro Edit, and Mp-3d with dB PowerConverter.
'Confirmation' is a Charlie Parker head (bop jazz piano solo) that I did on the MR-8 with two tracks panned full tilt and slight reverb.
Please let me know if you enjoy these tunes as much as I do my 'little red corvette'. They can be heard by clicking the nowhereradio URL.

Peace,
Ralph Funaro (flat-9)

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2683&alid=-1

Incredibly good.

On 'Bedlam' how was the drums recorded? And is the bass played by a keyboard?

Seems like you would be recording in a proper recording studio, so why are you playing around with an MR-8?

DC

flat-9,
Absolutely great stuff! I believe Jeff Beck did a cover of that Charlie Parker tune also, unless I'm mistaken. You did an outstanding job with it. I like your tune as well, closer to my own liking. You and toki need to hook up.

bd

DC,

Thanks for the compliment.
Yes, the bass is a Roland U-20 keyboard. All my drum parts are sequenced on an old MC-500. I start with a skeleton and add as the tune develops. Bedlams drums are are six loops , 2 two bar and 4 four bar : a polyrythmic intro/interlude, separated by 8 bars of 4/4 time. The tune is a 12 bar minor blues and was contructed in loops of 2-2-4-4-2 bars, cut and pasted eight times. The only instrument I recorded live was the organ solo. Most patches including the drums came from the Korg XC digital keyboard, except the fretless bass (Roland U-20 )and incidental percussion instruments (Roland JV 1000).All gated and reverb effects were from the instruments as I find them more aesthetic and cleaner than the MR-8's.
In response to your statement re: proper studio, I think the proof's in the pudding and the MR-8 smokes! ( It also might have to do with the fact that my wife and I have 5 children between the ages of 12 and 24 and I'd be 'out of the big bed' if I plopped $50 an hour down for studio time.) Besides, this is FUN! Speaking of children, if any of you are into Metal , my 16 year old son's got scarey drum chops and can be checked out at http://www.manifestmass.com

db

Thanks man.Yeah, I think everybody who appreciates 'Bird' has covered Confirmation. It's a standard bop head, II -VI- I study,that should be played in all 12 keys.( yeah, I know, but that's the teacher in me). Who is toki ?

Peace,
Ralph Funaro (flat-9)

Nice job Ralph. I grew up on jazz and fusion in the 70's and this is really my kind of music. It's great to hear some excellent playing recorded in the MR8, you really smoke on that B3. Some great programming on the drums as well. Please post some more when you get the time.

Ralph,
Toki987 usually hangs out in the mp3 forum. Very good musician, bass being his main instrument, and into that Jazzy stuff only with a little funk thrown in for good measure.

bd

Ralph,
I was just over on the mp3 forum and Toki has a tune over there just waiting for additions. Go check it out!

bd

Morindae,

Thanks! I wish it were a B-3, mine fell out of a U-hall truck back in '74 on interstate 89. Ever since then, it's been Rhodes, Roland, and Korg. I'll post some more after the soccer season.(family first, man).

bdbdbuck,

Thanks, I'll check out Toki.

To anyone,

My plan is to do around 9 more tunes of this style and record them the same way, [ Keyboards to MR-8 to Cool Pro Edit ] then have a bunch burned. Am I dreaming or is this feasable? One of my students told me you can get copies done for as little as a buck a copy if you order 500 or more. True?? Anyway, that's about a year away minimum as most of the tunes have to be restructured, reharmonized and re-orchestrated, but little bits of info along the way always help the end result.

Peace,
Ralph Funaro (flat-9)
{www listed below}

Hello Flat-9, your fingers play an incredible role in nature. I just had one of the more incredible listens of my life with Bedlam. Thank you!! That sounds more like a living organism than the 01 , is it one of those new Tritons? Okay,....I see your posted it. Super machine, incredibly natural, and feeling the air from the rotors. I hope you dont mind me draggin up a chair 'n sittin with bdbdbuck for your next one.

Hey Ralph (Flat-9),

That's some great keyboard playing! I wish I could play like that. Your style sounds a lot like the keyboardist on the Mike Bullard show. For non-Canadians, Mike Bullard is the Canadian equivalent of David Letterman.

I really like the tightness between your keyboard and the drums. Very good sync.

Good job Ralph!

KF

Flat-9 ,
I'm a hip hopper(uh oh there goes the neighborhood:D )and I deal alot with hiphop but I was just browsing through this forum and I must say you have some nice sounding tunes up there.I also see that you are from Lowell ,Ma.I'm in Woburn,Ma.We might have to get together and just talk music someday:p

make that cd dude!

hey ralph, great mixes etc..

fyi, you've got tons of options for making an inexpensive, yet professional cd! one of the best things I've found lately (and what i am using for my upcoming album) is www.shortrunmusic.com. they will do cds in a cardboard sleeve and nice full color printing on the front for 3.75ea. if you get less that 50. yes fifty. these guys are short run so you dont have to print like a million (usually a thousand). this price is really good for short run music production. and if you dont want to do it that way you can always go to www.mp3.com and sign up as an artist. post all your stuff on their website and you can make an on demad CD with tons of stuff on it, a jewel case with full color artwork and an insert even. its 4.00 a pop for your cd on their cd. check it out dude. mp3 is no upfront costs to you AT ALL. you dont pay for it until you buy a cd. i guess its the same with shortrunmusic. hope that helped!

get that music out there buddy!

dustin

PS, if you want more info let me know. ive got tons of it but im kinda in a hurry tonight.

I thought that I had checkedout your tunes but I hadn't. Very Cool keyboard work, Bro. Nice playing and a good recording. :cool:

CR ><>

Axe4Yahweh,

Thanks Axe,
Checked out your site as we have the same 'BOSS.'
Requested prayers are in transit!

Peace,
Ralph Funaro (flat-9)

DustinBoston,

Thanks for the wealth of info and also for the time it takes to post it. ( especially if you're like me....I type like a slug) I'll check it all out.

Peace,
Ralph Funaro (flat-9)

pgm,

Woburn!!!??? I've got some great Woburn gig stories!!!!
Nice to hear from a hip hopper. Doin any shows in the near future?

Peace,
Ralph Funaro (flat-9)

Knopler Fan,

What a gig that must be.....playing for Bullard....."money for nothin' and"..well, you know the rest. Thanks, that's a nice compliment.

Peace,
Ralph Funaro (flat-9)

Back