New Song Needs Real Feedback

imalion

Hello Everyone. Well, I guess it is my moment of truth. I have been writing and recording for about 5 years now. But I have never posted anything on this site for feedback. So, with it being a new year and everything, I thought I would try something new.

I would REALLY appreciate as much feedback as possible on this. I recorded the song using my BOSS BR8. Then I ran it digitally into Cakewalk on my computer. I did a little fine tuning in Cakewalk but not much.

Here is the link. http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/357/steven_diemert.html

The name of the song is "Run Away".

Thanks in advance for your imput.

Steven

P.S. I can handle the truth.

I don't like canned drums, so I won't go there.

The lead vox is too distant, has too much (bad) reverb, and is pretty thin. Actually, I think the backing vocal that comes in on occasion on the left, would make a better lead sound. And as I listen to it, the level of the lead vocal seems to change a lot - maybe some compression or fader riding would help.

I like some of the guitar sounds quite a bit. In fact, they are all pretty good except that overly fuzzed out guitar on the right during the chorus- just doesn't seem to fit the song very well. The acoustic could use a little work too. Can't here any bass guitar, if its there it needs to come up.

Overall, the sound you've achieved is nice and big and pretty well balanced. You've got a cool wall of guitar thing going and the song would probably rock out with some real drums.

Like the songwriting.

Like the performance.

Good balance, although i think you could try some bass roll-off when tracking. I think that's probably the biggest problem with multitrack recorders is they usually don't have a bass roll-off anywhere, so everything starts muddying up, bit by bit as each track is added.

Could use less reverb on the voice.

Maybe let up a little on the intensity of the vocals. It's nice when singers can get emotional and really belt out during important parts of the song (to add sort of an exclamation point to something), but it almost seems like you're angry and very serious throughout the whole song. Are you really angry? Was it something I said? :) Just messin' with ya. Anyway, I just think you could try singing more mellow for most of the tune, and then really kick in your dirty voice during the emotional parts of the song.

These are all nit-picks, so good effort.

Hey thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming.

Sometimes I lose perspective on what songs "Really" sound like. LOL

I wish I had a real drummer dangit!

Steven

I think the drums would sound better with better drum samples, they sound really MIDIish right now.
Ditto on the reverb... too much.

Keijo

I like the song, and think that it has a good form to it. However, your vocals seem to be extremely flat the majority of the time. They don't seem to fit the song. It sounds like they were tracked while you were singing to a different song they are so out of place. The mix sounds like you are on the correct track, but I am sorry that the vocals are bad.

That's my truth. Thanks very much for posting your stuff,

Fangar

Thanks for the honest feedack. I am gonna go back and redo the vocals with less reverb this time. LOL

As far as the guitars go. I am pretty happy with the sound, so I dont think I will change much there. Any suggestions?

Steven

Back