New Song "Living To Die"

Welcome to the forums. I come and go, but always stay around and sometimes just read... lots of good information here. Hope to see you round.

The track need some work. Wants to be Marilyn Manson in parts, then Queensrych in others... and no, I would not consider that a good match :p.

You have some great ideas, and I'm all into 'the odd' (think I'm one of the few around here not trying to write a top 40 all the time :rolleyes: ). You definitely got some odd going on here, and that's probably the downfall on this track. Sometimes you need to know just how to push the envelope before it breaks. The high pitched guitars kinda irk me, but I see what you're trying to accomplish... maybe start the rhythm parts an octave lower and play those higher parts a little lower on the scale. I'm not a master musician, I only play to learn how to produce the recorded parts, but I do know enough and have written enough songs to hear when something works (or doesn't). Much of this isn't working, and it's not your recording techniques (all the instruments were present i nthe mix, so you got that part nailed).

I'm not sure if I'm making any sense, it's hard to put some things into words... music is (supposed to be) a lot of 'sense'/feeling. The feeling is, form this song, you haven't decided which genre it belongs (glam or industrial). I hope you choose industrial, knock it down an octave, and see what happens :).

Usually not ... but I like this one

lThe beginning sounds like a bad trip that I'm wondering when will stop, that's your intention ? :-)

I'm having some difficulty understanding the words. That's a combination of how you are singing it and all the tabs stuffed in your mouth ?

Bring the level of the instruments down a bit, and we will understand a lot more of the vocal the first time around. I really cannot, on the first listening understand the hook in the chorus ... and if I can't understand the hook, when it's the title of the song ... that's bad.

I LIKE what you are doing sonically overall, it's very convincing. The way you are 'using' your instrument textures is damn near unique, it's original ... I think.

Yes, this is a genuine 'freak out' tune, I like it, it's damn sincere.

You could inspire some serious moshing with this ... if ... everyone wasn't tripping so damn hard ...

SECOND LISTENING :

Yes, echoes ... in the mind ...

Yes, I'm understanding the words now, on the second listening, maybe it's just getting used to all the sonic commotion.

You aren't really doing anything that's 'blowing my cans off', the mix is 'normalized' ... but not overcompressed. I like it.

Just bring all the instruments down 1db ! maybe 2db in the verses, and just 1db in the choruses and I think you have a freakin' winner here.

A lot of songs like this 'piss me off' because they 'hurt' my ears in a way ...

This is a good mix dude. Just the vocal thing please, don't cheat me out of the lyrics.

Feedback is nice!

Thanks guys for the feedback!

Pinky: I think you are correct when you say I should decide
what this piece is. I had it pegged as a soundtrack
piece of weirdness, and as such, thought I could get
away with it. A second look is needed I think.

Studioviols: You hit a few nails on the head here. Your
feedback about levels is appreciated and I will
be trying a remix in the future. Also, these
vocals should be clearer I agree.

My main concern was "is it a unique piece" ?? You both
seemed to lean that way and so I am happy in that sense.

Thanks
Scott

Re: Feedback is nice!

acidbath said:
My main concern was "is it a unique piece" ?? You both
seemed to lean that way and so I am happy in that sense.

Absolutely unique. :)

Vocal character and delivery are the weak aspects of this song in my rather stinky opinion. The mix sounds alright and the weird buzzing speaker sound is kinda freaky but it works I guess.

I would like to hear the voice more defined and a bit less goofy (maybe meaner) but that's just me.

Welcome to HRC!

Thanks Jake-owa for the listen.

This one's due for an overhaul at some point.

I was trying a bit of a campy thing voxwise. A sorta industrial
glam but it doesn't have the power it should.

I may get a lot "meaner" next time around :)

Scott

yep i agree...

i suggest you get PISSED OFF AT THIS SONG...and then sing it again...it needs anger or anguish or any other "a" word that conveys a general lack of happiness...the music is cool as shit tho.
the chorus would kick a bit more ass if it was less "tom green"...and more FUCK YOU ASSHOLE.....

right?

the synthy stuff is exceptionally cool.

jamal

Please excuse Jamal... he's a member of our... "special needs" musician's group ;) :D

Hell, yes. This is weird, and weird is GOOD. LOVE the atonality...

Kinda Marilyn, kinda Trent Reznor... kinda Adam Sandler... kinda "Norm MacDonald" :confused: dunno why! dunno why ;)

Your vocs need more low mids... you've got a bass mud situation, but not too bad... your snare drum sounds like it was cut up to about 2.5kHz...

Serious mid-scooped sound. 1kHz hardly shows up at all...

Really cool song... the snare drum... if sounding natural AT ALL ... would balance the mix, IMO... if you've cut the mids out of it... put some of 'em back (esp. around 800 - 1200kHz)... and work out a compromise between bass/kick drum.

The percussion reminds me of a cross between "The Reflex" and "Some Like It Hot" (Duran Duran/Power Station)...

The song's a 5. Please keep poundin' out the mix.

Chad

Thanks jamal and Chad for the feedback!

jamal, I'm thinking of holding a serious grudge against this track :)

Chad, thanks for the feedback on the mix. The Sandler line
was very funny too. Good observation on the Power Station
thing. I'm glad you like the song.

It's nice to get feedback like this as a newbie in this forum.
I haven't given any feedback here, so I appreciate all the
comments from everyone.

This is a top flight forum.

Scott

Back