new song. Hard rock but kind of wierd

avedic

This is just guitar and bass over a drum machine for now. I have vocals and real drums written but not recorded yet. When listening keep that in mind since those 2 things would help to spice the song up considerably.

Thanks for listening...and play loud! :)

Listened to both man...

I like the first one better...seems more focused and fluid....
The drums on the second one are superior perfomance wise but not sound wise...
On the first one...the trail of the power chords needs to extend some...the seem a little weak on the ass end.....

Heavy Metal....gotta luv it ..... :D

ok...im not sure what's going on. for some reason i can't post any new threads....but i can reply to threads....so i found this old thread i posted 4 years ago :) and figured i'd post my new song here. below is what i've been trying to post....

-----------------------

hey there. this is my first visit to this board since, according to the info in the top right corner, april 2004. i haven't been writing/recording much in the past few years and it's starting to drive me crazy...so i figured i'd jump back in...and i remember how much i loved this board...so i came back.

i thought my first post back should be a song i just wrote/recorded. it's actually something i wrote for my girlfriend...hence the somewhat forced lyrics. when it comes to personal plaintive lyrics...im no good. better at the obscure metaphorical stuff. :) but i like the song overall. im using CEP and recorded everything via a shure sm57...even vocals...and i do not like how a 57 sounds on vocals...i need a new vox mic. :)

here be the song ====> http://www.myspace.com/seancannon1983

it's the one called 'under the sun'
the one below that is a demo of something i wrote but never finished...which is why it cuts off so abruptly. :)

hope you like them. i forgot how nerve racking it is to post your music to the world!

hm I totally like the writing on under the sun... I get this reznor vibe in not only your voice, but in the melody! heh total compliment coming from me I guess.

My crits on that tho would be if you sang the lyrics in a less legato kind of way, making the transition from one note to another more one straight to the other (especially on single words) instead of sliding your voice... it would kind of solidify the performance... But see I dunno how you feel about that it's kind of personal thing, I guess it would feel a lot more solid if it were more deliberate pitch shifts (lack of better term there)

I can't tell if theres anything to change from a mixing standpoint on overall quality, but the levels are great and everything sounds kosher thru the speakers I hear this through... cool man good to see a comeback like this :D

hm I totally like the writing on under the sun... I get this reznor vibe in not only your voice, but in the melody! heh total compliment coming from me I guess.
------------------------------
thanks! i personally don't here the reznor influence, but i'm glad you hear that in the song. i'll have to go back and listen for it. :)

My crits on that tho would be if you sang the lyrics in a less legato kind of way, making the transition from one note to another more one straight to the other (especially on single words) instead of sliding your voice... it would kind of solidify the performance... But see I dunno how you feel about that it's kind of personal thing, I guess it would feel a lot more solid if it were more deliberate pitch shifts (lack of better term there)
this is why i love this board! crits that actually help. i agree with you about my voice. i actually wrote this for valentine's day...and wrote the whole thing in 6 hours or so. i spent a whopping 30 min. on the vocal melody...so that needs alot of work. it also sounds too monotone at times. but it's the best i could do in the short time.

I can't tell if theres anything to change from a mixing standpoint on overall quality, but the levels are great and everything sounds kosher thru the speakers I hear this through...
i'm thrilled with how the mixing/levels came out. first time it all really came together for me. just hope i can repeat that. :)

cool man good to see a comeback like this
lol...yeah, i actually had a listen to what i posted up top 4 years ago...it's hideous. funny how much people can change. when i first posted that i thought it was brilliant. :)

Yeah man constructive criticism is always like music to my ears, it's not easy to come by. You should post an update if you get to that eventually.

funny note, though - you preach what you should practice, and you teach what you don't do well and that being said I personally have that problem with my voice, so definitely good luck, I am definitely working on it myself :cool: :cool:

Heya,

The 50% sounds really good on the drum/bass tune. It seems to have a Perfect Circle or Massive Attack (one of my favorites) type vibe too it. It would be nice to see it when it's finished off.

The Under the Sun song is beautiful! Very nice vocal harmonies. The only thing that sounds off on in it is that the acoustic guitar sounds kind of dull/muddy with a phase effect on it. It could just be a product of the acoustics of the room you recorded this in. It could use a little percussion too, I think, but that's pretty subjective. Great job.

If you get a chance, please give our stuff a listen. It's weird surreal stuff as well, so I think you might like it. We have a link for feedback on this page as well: http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=230055

Damn fine sound - all you used was an SM57? Pretty cool. The mix is really good. The vocals aren't bad. If you redo them I'm sure they would only get better. I agree with the legato comment but its still well done overall.... :cool:

Dump that drum track, it is annoying as hell. I'd rather just hear a metronome or possibly no percussion at all, than to be subjected to that. Everything else was good.

FartSmeller said:
Dump that drum track, it is annoying as hell. I'd rather just hear a metronome or possibly no percussion at all, than to be subjected to that. Everything else was good.
I think FS was listening to your old recording.....

I think FS was listening to your old recording.....
----------------

lol...yep. disregard those tracks. i agree they're crap. :)
but thanks for the comments on the new song. i think i might rerecord the vocals and polish things up a bit. but thanks for the encouragment!

Very nice! I like the sound of the background vocals a lot. The sound quality of the lead vocals as well as the melody itself sound great.

The acoustic guitars alternate between one lone sound towards the center (maybe too muffled?) and then additional tracks panned L + R which come in periodically and fill out the sound. this transition is particularly effective when coupled with the strings, right before, "you are the one...".

The whole arrangement reminds me more of Beck than NIN...

thanks. :) that's one subtle thing i like about the mix...how the guitars in the pre chorus switch to right down the middle.

so far i've been told this sounds like NIN and Beck...and someone else told me it sounds like silverchair. lol...pretty diverse artists there.

Some toughts and comments:
The highhat sounds really weird, has too much rverb too it.
Vocalist is off tune @ certain moments.

If you are going for an 80-90's sound great work.

If you want a more post-rock production you'll have to turn up those guitars en let it fill up your sonic spectrum.
They are not ''blowing in your face''

Keep up the good work :)

Blor007 said:
Some toughts and comments:
The highhat sounds really weird, has too much rverb too it.
Vocalist is off tune @ certain moments.

If you are going for an 80-90's sound great work.

If you want a more post-rock production you'll have to turn up those guitars en let it fill up your sonic spectrum.
They are not ''blowing in your face''

Keep up the good work :)

i think you may have listend to the song in the first post...that was from 4 years ago. the new one is below that. :) the new song has no hi hat. :)

Back