New Song for Mixing/Sound Critique :O thanks!

JPlush76

Hey guys, I got a new tune that I just got done mixing. Any feedback would be MUCH appreciated, I'm still a newb when it comes to mixing and eq'ing.

thanks again!

the recording was done on:
drums - tascam 788 porta studio
everything else - cakewalk sonar

fellow 788 user

good tune..

The mix doesn't sound good to me.. The vocals are too loud at times.. (ie the scream @2:37,) and the snare drum and bass drum are too low.. when he's riding the crash it doesn't sound good at all.. maybe if the drums (not the cymbals) were brought up, it might make the vocal mix be better.. I still think the vocals will be too loud in spots.. all of this is imhop.. It sounds very compressed.

good tune though.. almost has the 'arena' sound from all the reverb maybe..

I cranked it up, sounded good and strong. I like the attitude of the vocal, seemed to fit the music perfectly. The bass interludes sounded very nice.
The overall mix had kind of a brittle quality...sorry I can't be more specific. Just sounded like it needed warming up.
Performance-wise, topnotch.
The writing/composition is very good, definitely contemporary.
Guitars are powerful, just a tiny bit generic...but that's a nitpick.
Good job!

Mark

I thought this was a pretty good piece of music. I kind of liked the song. The "main" guitar had a nice "growling" sound to it. Good playing too. I liked the section through 2:27 - 2:34. for some reason I thought that was a cool part. Don't know why.

For some reason, the vocals seem to have difficulty coming through. I can't understand many words - but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I thought I heard the vocals clip at 1:07 and 1:12 - some other spots too. There was an occasional scream that came through loud and clear. By contrast it was a little much.

There's 10 seconds of silence at the end.

I focused on too many negatives. Good effort.

thanks everyone for your replies!

I guess its completely dependent on where you listen to, one person says the vocals are too loud and the post above says the vocals aren't coming through enough.

does that mean they just aren't clear enough or aren't loud enough to come through the music?

unfortunately the drums are on one track so I can't submix any part of the drums :( just raise or lower the whole levels

Nice guitar work.
I especially like the lead sound!

I'm listening on pc speakers,but after reading the above posts and listening,sounds like the vocals are to loud for the overall mix.

They sound clear,just can't make out the exact words.
Might just be your style,which fits with the music.

Also sounds like they are to far out front,reverb wise,compared to the guitars.
IMHO

Good writing and production,nice full sounding mix.

Best to you,
Pete

Guitar work...perfect.

Vocals need a good amount of reverb to bring out a more depth. I like your singing style.

Drums are too distant. Need to turn them up.

Overall I liked the song. It was well produced and written.

Is it an original?

- Gavin

SWEEEEEEEEEEET!

This is just my style. Aggressive, heavy, and some cracker funk :) That clean funk guit is a TRIP!! Love that rhythm. I gots ta hear me a smooth mix o' this one :cool: Yeah, is there anything cooler than dual rectified? Triple rectified maybe?? :D This is one o' my faves so far. GOTTA get a good mix!! :D:p;)

Feels like you doubled the rectified guits and sort of panned them left and right, but there's a sizeable overlap in the middle that ... feels weird... this is a guess?? Not panned hard left or right, but something like 10 & 2? IMO they'd sit better panned a bit harder. If you didn't double anything... it's just the Sobe Green Tea that hasn't kicked in on my end, yet :)

Mix has a boxy, midrangey feel? In the heavy instrumental parts, I hear some flanged guitar -- though I'm not sure you put flanger on it :eek: -- so as Blue Bear says... phasing? (anyone who knows confirm? I've got trouble hearing phasing) Bass is missing some energy... the only lows you seem to be getting in the mix come from the mesa boogie guits; I'd try rolling off everything on them below 200 (though maybe 150 would be more to your liking) and boost the bass guitar. This would help the kick drum, too.

IMO the most improvement would come with some more stereo separation (panning) of your tracks; it almost sounds like it was mixed to mono :eek:

Snare sounds like an upside down Dixie cup :( The drums are played very well, tho.

I hope this isn't too negative for you :( This is just an honest attempt to help get this mofo mixed well so we can all grit our manly teeth, flex our muscles, and ROCK OUT like we SHOULD WITH THIS SONG!!!!!!!! :D :D

What a great toon, even without a pro mix :cool:

Chad

EDIT:

PS: Ya like ... STARS???? CA-CHING!!! :)

Hey Plush,
.........Great song. I agree with participant....... take the time to do it justice. The first thing that stuck out to me was the vocals. The performance sounds good but the verb does not. Its way too washed out. These vocals should be in my face. Try ditching the verb all together and doubling the voc. (manually). Set the second vocal way back from the front and then gently add some verb to the two. This will fatten the voc up but still keep it tight. Try keeping the length of the verb somewhat short too.
The drums are too far in the back, but you know that. Its too bad the drums are already mixed down, but thats the way it goes i guess.

.........anyways, very cool song bro....... I hope you stick with it, ....post it again if you do. Im eager for a listen. G

hey guys, thanks for the great comments!

I will rework the mix today while I'm at "work" hehehe

I'm still unsure about the "rolling off" thing on eq

here's is a screen print of the eq module I use in cakewalk, what would I click to roll off under 200? :O

thanks again!

http://www.drawingdown.com/temp/eq.gif

Hmmm... I imagine you could use shelving ("Shelf") if nothing else, but wouldn't stake a buck on that. That "lo" button's probably what you want. The eq curve should drop of fairly gradually then level off with your shelving EQ; problem is, it's probably not enough. With a rolloff, there's no leveling out.

Despite what sonusman says about "don't raise/lower EQ bands more than 6db" you could try about a 10db cut. See if it still sounds good, or if you get some swirly "garbage" happening...

Turn on one of those bands, and set your center frequency to about 200; fine tune it to your liking, but remember the track probably won't sound good soloed. You'll need to hear the bass against it.

Chad

EDIT: Oh BTW, flatten those other bands (2,3,4 -- set 'em to 0)

Back