New song finished!

dyuob

Just finished recording St. James infirmary blues, and I have a rough mix at:
http://www.onlinerock.com/musicians/dyuob/.
It's ukulele, guitar and washboard, with vocals, done on the MR 8, no external EQ, a little echo on the voice, a little reverb on the washboard, that's it.
No click track, no looping. just me.
I first heard this song during the last week of June, 1972, on a flexi disc that came with the David Dalton book "Janis", about Janis Joplin. Needless to say, it has been a favorite of mine ever since.

Hey Dyoub,
I think it's a keeper. It's somewhat of a departure from your last post, but I still like it. So how ya doin? I see you're liking the MR8, it seems to work perfectly for you.

bd

Good work Dyoub!! You're the first person I know who comes from "Tuna-On-Rye"! ;)

I really dig the bass line. It's got a nice hook. Your ukelele sounds very warm and I like the way you put it upfront.

I'm always fascinated at how you record the vocals. How did you get that funky sound?!

Keep up the good work and I look forward to your next recording.

KF

This is what its all about...Its like a music underground..Im talkin about real folk makin real music...Good job Dyoub..I love this stuff.Earl D.

Hey Dyuob,

That is super cool! Simple (relatively) and effective. And I love that string bass sound (is it a string bass?)

DC

Earlds said:
This is what its all about...Its like a music underground..Im talkin about real folk makin real music...Good job Dyoub..I love this stuff.Earl D.
Couldn't have said that better myself.

Very nicely recorded. Love it! :D

CR ><>

First, i want to say a great big "THANK YOU!!!!!!" to all you good people, you sure know how to make someone feel good about their contributions!
Next, how i did the vocals is (don't laugh), I cut out the bottom of a plasic cup, and used it for a megaphone, singing about 15 inches away, off axis to the mic. As for the string bass sound, all I used was my 1979 medium bowl Ovation Custom Balladeer. I played with my thumb, and since I wanted it to sound more like a bass, I worked out a bass part that seemed to mimic a string bass line, using patterns that seemed more like a bass than a guitar. I'm getting an acoustic bass, I just have to get past some of these Dr. bills. UGGGGHHH!!!!
As far as the MR 8, let me say this, I started out using just the built in mic at first, just to work out the arrangements. That is one thing that I am so glad they included, if all want to do is see how various parts fit together, i don't have to do a lot of setting up. After a couple of days of trying out different things, i was ready to record the final version. I set up every thing, and in under 3 hours, I was done, including a very early rough mix, which ended up being very close to what you all heard, just a bit more reverb and echo (ok, alot more reverb and echo, i called my "self indulgent mix"!) That is where this unit really shines, (I can experiment very easily with all kinds of sounds, and really find what I am looking for, and I did it all sitting on my bed! In very great comfort. I can think of no other unit that would afford me the luxury of doing this, with such high quality sound, for the price I paid for this little marvel
You are all correct, btw, this about returning music to the people, allowing people to make the music they hear in their heads, and freeing them from having to rely upon the music industry for their entertainment. All this takes is a little work, and an interest in learning. And since we have this BB, it makes sharing ideas a lot easier than in the past, so we can grow and learn much faster.
Any way, thanks again every one, you are all apreciated!

Back