New Song. Critique Please.

Really nice work.

Now for the constructive criticism; The vocals sound a bit thin, like they're too far back in the mix. The guitars feel similar, a bit on the thin side. The last third of the song is a bit too repetitive. If you could fill half of the last third with some type of transition, something different, it would be great. In the last third there is just too much vocal work going on considering the length at which it continues. The drums could be bumped up slightly also. The bass was fine.

The song is excellent but if you want it to be really great I'd work on it a bit more and work on that last third. I hope you take my opinions respectfully because I really do think that the tune is a winner with a touch more work.

This sounds pretty good, I like the song and the quality of the vocal performances are very good. Something is a little off in the mix though...there is a brittleness overall. The acoustic guitar seems thin, and maybe a little loud in the mix to me. I'd try to get the acoustics, bass, and drums a little more together and if it were me, the first thing I'd do to try that is to bring down the acoustic levels a tad. In this mix, the bass and drums seem to be sitting back in their own space (maybe a little too far back!), the acoustics are out in a separate space, and then the vocals are in a third space. Have you done much with EQ on the guitars and vox? I'm asking because if the answer is yes, then I'd also maybe start by going with less EQ, particularly on the acoustics. If not, then I'd spend more time on the acoustics during the recording stage trying to get a more rounded sound that has a little more midrange and maybe less of the brittleness in the high end. That's probably going to come down to playing around with mic placement till you find the sweet spot. Also, right off the bat I thought the hats and cymbals were a little too fizzy and loud. Again, I'd start by pulling the overhead levels down in relation to the rest of the kit. That alone might be enough to tame some of the high end of the mix and get the whole thing working together and sounding more natural.

It's a cool song, and I'm going back for a third listen right now!

Best Regards,

Dave DeWhitt
SoundClick artist: Dave DeWhitt - page with MP3 music downloads

You guys have a great performance, I wouldn't rewrite it or rerecord it or anything. It sounds very fixable. Nothing is too harsh or o muddy for post work. You can boost the 200Hz paremetrically and make the guitars full sounding, but I would have to hear that before recommending the next step because sometimes one little thing makes the difference. What is this recorded on?

The song is excellent but if you want it to be really great I'd work on it a bit more and work on that last third. I hope you take my opinions respectfully because I really do think that the tune is a winner with a touch more work.

Ok. I understand what you mean. Most of our songs are practiced a couple times then recorded. We need to sit down more and work out these transitions and get a tighter sound.

Have you done much with EQ on the guitars and vox? I'm asking because if the answer is yes, then I'd also maybe start by going with less EQ, particularly on the acoustics. If not, then I'd spend more time on the acoustics during the recording stage trying to get a more rounded sound that has a little more midrange and maybe less of the brittleness in the high end.

The answer is yes. I have to eq everything. The space we play in is untreated and I did set the mics up quickly with little thought given to how the instrument/vocalist sounded in the room. That is what it all comes down to. I should not have to spend so long on this mix and for the results to still be mediocre.

You guys have a great performance, I wouldn't rewrite it or rerecord it or anything. It sounds very fixable. Nothing is too harsh or o muddy for post work. You can boost the 200Hz paremetrically and make the guitars full sounding, but I would have to hear that before recommending the next step because sometimes one little thing makes the difference. What is this recorded on?

Thanks for the support. Will try a boost around 200hz for more mid. I record using Ableton. Interface is alesis io26 with additional channels coming from behringer ADA8000. Everything done in box.

I think dewhitt had it right. The acoustics are less then perfect and more time needs to be given to mic set up.

Clong

I agree with dewhitt, definitely keep with it. It's a really good song, great vocals, nice all around. It just needs a touch of work here and there. Sometimes when writing a song people tend to rush to finish at some point. I'd take care and give this one all the attention it needs. Let it sit for a few weeks so it becomes fresh and exciting to you again. Then go back and figure out what to do in the last third (first half of the last third). It's got a lot of potential.

Back