New Song - can you advise on the mix please?

Are the vocals layered or is that an effect on them.
Not sure I like it.
Also I think the acoustic guitar sounds a little boxy at times, maybe try rolling off some of the low end on it.

Hi Tim, thanks for listening!

I have the vocals doubled everywhere and tripled in spots. Plus the harmonies.

The acoustic is a classical, which explains some of the low end. I will try to brighten the acoustic git tracks up a bit though.

Thanks again!

Chris

The song itself is cool, and I'm mixed on the vocals...I kind of like the effect or whatever, as it gives it a cool and unique feel, and works with the guitar tone you have. I think if you were to make the guitar brighter, you might need to make the vocals a bit more straight up.....if that makes sense. As is, I think things fit together pretty well. Nice electric playing.....it added some slightly different tones, and was really quite tastefull.

Voice reminds me a bit of Everlast, and in this song, with the tones you have, I'd say it's pretty good. If you lower the bottom end on the guitar, the vocals may sound too deep and then not fit with the vibe the tune has.

Anyway, cool tune man. I really liked it. Well written, and worth another listen ot two....

Thank you Dogman, I really appreciate you input.

I am playing around with a new mix right now which features brighter, less processed rhythm gits. Not sure how effective it is. Will post a link to it later.

I really wanted this one to have a unique feel. I don't want to lose that.

Thanks again bro',

Chris

Typing as I'm listening...
Nice ocean sounds, sets the mood here.
Kind of a different acoustic vibe here, sounds a little Days of the New on an island with that low end.
Nice electric part, the delay there is cool
I'm kind of mixed on the vocals too... maybe it'd be cool to have sections solo, and sections doubled like that.
Nice electric solo and harmonies there.
Pretty cool vibe here ;)

New mix - any better?

Thank Snake! I appreciate the listen and the feedback! :)

For those of you with the time and/or inclination, below is a link to a new mix. I think I have improved on the dark/boomy acoustic sound, without removing all of the character. Let me know what you think!

Cheers

Chris

And Then I Lost You (new mix)

Listening again...I don't have a problem with the boxier tone on the guitar, as it fits the vocals. Vocals are better on this. They seem to be just enough thinner, but still maintain the same vibe. You didn't lose any depth on them. This is a pretty damn fine song man....Nice job.

I've listened a few times, and the guitar now seems to have clicks in it on the high end....probably from brightening it up. It usually happens only when there is no vox. And I do think the intro is better. You might try and find the frequency of the upper clicks, and smooth them out.

Nice job Chris.
I like the vocals now, they sound a lot better. :D :D
Sounds like you brought out the electric guitar a little more. Sounds great.
Maybe put just a very small amount of low end back into the acoustic guitar.

I LIKE IT!!!!

The change in guitar tones in the intro is a bit to quick. Can you fade between or blend them to make the change?
The layered vocals may be helped by a little panning between layers.
Can you post a mix with main vocal & b/vox but not the layered takes of the main? It'd be interesting to hear the diff.
I like the guitar sound.
The song is really quite good - well done.

Tim, thanks man!

rayc, thanks for the input. Not sure what you mean by "layered" takes. Do you mean copies of a track? The melody vox are doubled the old fashioned way, with a single harmony track added on. In one or two spots I added another dupe track for depth. Is that what you mean?

Cheers,

Chris

I've taken a listen to both versions of the mix now as well. I agree on the vocals, the doubling throughout the entire song is a bit much. Other than that the electric lead guitar sounds very distant. It's loud enough but it seems to be coming from too far away. How are your reverbsettings on this guitar?

Other than that this is a good song. Nice, relaxing summer vibe to it. Keep up the good work.

bigmahon said:
Thanks Dogman. Did you like what Sloop did on the other site? :D
Yeah, his sounded pretty good also. Kind of hard to tell where this should go, as the boxy sounds appeal to me on most levels, but may or may not be best for this song. I think you need to experiment a bunch, keeping all the version, then just kick back and see what strikes your fancy. I like dark music, and others like the brighter stuff. Don't toss anything away unless it really just doesn't work....it's a good song.

Well produced song, congratulations! :cool:

I agree with others than the type of verb on eletric gtrs and vocal can not be the "adequate" (to give the necessary "emotion" that this music needs)but it´s hard to said whats the best way without hear the dry chanells...

killer acoustic guitar sound !!!

Another point is that after the "bridge" solo,on return of vocal, I was expecting to hear "new" details ("details" on percussion, "panned" guitar solo (short phrases,w/ volume pedal, or another acoustic guitar track .... you know)
But that´s a more traditional approch and my personal taste.The song works without it too.

Ciro

Last edited:
knugen said:
I've taken a listen to both versions of the mix now as well. I agree on the vocals, the doubling throughout the entire song is a bit much. Other than that the electric lead guitar sounds very distant. It's loud enough but it seems to be coming from too far away. How are your reverbsettings on this guitar?

Other than that this is a good song. Nice, relaxing summer vibe to it. Keep up the good work.

Hi knugen, thanks for the listen, and for the kind words! :)

The distant lead gits was intentional. Trying to create a certain lonesome feel, I guess? There is some reverb on there, but also some delay. Maybe a bit over the top. ;)

Thanks again bro!

Chris

CIRO said:
Well produced song, congratulations! :cool:

I agree with others than the type of verb on eletric gtrs and vocal can not be the "adequate" (to give the necessary "emotion" that this music needs)but it´s hard to said whats the best way without hear the dry chanells...

killer acoustic guitar sound !!!

Another point is that after the "bridge" solo,on return of vocal, I was expecting to hear "new" details ("details" on percussion, "panned" guitar solo (short phrases,w/ volume pedal, or another acoustic guitar track .... you know)
But that´s a more traditional approch and my personal taste.The song works without it too.

Ciro

Hi Ciro, thanks for listening, and thanks for your input! :)

I know what you mean about the "details". I have considered this, even tried to add some tom fills to the drum track. But in the end I wanted to keep it simple and uncluttered, with just rhythm and melody. Still not sure if it's working! :eek: ;)

Cheers mate!

Chris

I think it's the best one so far....music still has a great tone, but you seemed to fix some of the small glitches. Vocals still have a great, and unique sort of sound/vibe. I like the almsot hallow sound of teh vox...gives them a sort of haunting vibe.

Yep, best one yet. Cool tune man..... :cool:

Back