New song and would really appreciate some advice

Darren1664

Hey all.

I feel nervy posting this (even though it's not the first song I have posted) but there just so many basics errors vocally and with the guitars that it feels lazy posting it like this. However I would really appreciate a few pointers on some things.

I have no idea if my acoustic guitar sounds OK? I've heard my guitar so many times I don't know if it actually sounds nice or harsh and grating. Same for the Bass and my voice for that matter. With my vocal, pitch aside, is the tone OK? I'm not a confident singer and I think the Chorus effect on my voice is a bit OTT.

When I listen back to it I just feel like there not enough space. Like it needs cleaning up if that's the word.

Anywho any advice greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

All the best
Darren

OH the link -- https://soundcloud.com/user-41129754/breathing-and-surviving

Try the MP3 Clinic section of the forum. Your guitar is boomy to start out with. The vocal is buried behind the guitar and the chorus effect, if you think its too much, then it is (there are no rules)

Thank you mjbphotos for taking the time to listen to and comment on my track. I really appreciate your feedback. I need to need to really think hard about the overall sound I want and to take steps to get there. I'm quite far off now so more learning to be done.

Hey Darren,

It sounds like a pretty cool song, and the acoustic guitar line sounds cool. However, I agree that the guitars sound boomy and muddy. There's not much brightness to them. The vocals are sitting far back in the mix and are being overpowered by the guitars. I would either pull the guitars down a bit or bring the vocals up. I think I would cut a bit in the 100-200 Hz. range for the guitars to try and clean up the muddiness and clear some space for the vocals.

Thanks DKRecords. I appreciate your comments and advice. In fact I did exactly what you said...as well use a high pass filter to cut a lot of the low end from both guitars and vocals and it really freed up room in the mix. Downside being I can hear the pitch mistakes much more clearly :P

I'm really digging this mixing malarky. I will have another stab at tracking the parts soon to see if I can get them tight and give me something decent to work with. I'm also restringing and re saddling (little bit of buzz at mo) my guitar to try and get a better tone.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Darren

Cool song! I can hear the energy in it, your guitar line is excellent and it drives the song up and running. There is this monotonic feeling which created by the repetitive n of melodies with the words supporting them, even if I couldn't hear most of the lyrics. I suggeest, re-record guitars and vocals, but now do it in two different takes, first guitar obviously. Than you might want to mix ion a way the singing is out. If you think it is better for you to do the singing and playing together, I sugg st using electric guitar so it be less in your vocals recording.

Sorry it's taken me some time to reply!! Been a busy month! But I just like to say thank you for your comments and suggestions! I like the idea of using an electric guitar when recording vocals! I hadn't thought of that and do struggle singing when I don't have a guitar in my hand...I'm hoping to re record this in the new year! Anyway thanks again and merry Xmas to you all

Regards

Darren

Back