New song "A Father's Grave" - comments always welcome.

Teddie

Hello HR buds.

I've got a new one. It's about my dad again.

The first one about my runaway pop was "Thunder on the Mountain" which I posted early last year. That one was an angry rock/metalish tune...

This new one called "A Father's Grave" is more soft and folkish and written for a different reason sort of.

I was just messing around with my P.O.S. acoustic the other day and the words came out...

You can find it here http://mp3.com/smartapple

Another direction for me. I appreciate any comments you can give me.

Thanks for everything!,
Teddie (Smart Apple) http://mp3.com/smartapple

I'm listening,,,

Vey nice,
I envy those who can sing without adding reverb and sound great anyways,

Really nice actually,
Shana

Teddie,

Great work, I don't think I heard an acoustic sound like that before on a recording, very different. Nice to hear your flexibility.

Great recording, and mix.

BTW: Did your drum machine school idea ever pan out? Maybe you could get a goverment grant. Live the dream!!

GT

Yes, a nice song indeed. Good job.

Only thing I can think of is the keyboard. The keyboard part is way in the background for the majority of the sond, but it sounds like in the break towards the end you played a couple notes at a higher octave, and it sounds awkward. Tha's it.

Well, I dig the song. I like the overlaying vocal parts at the end and how they come together for the last two lines for a harmony. Cool.

I am not digging the acoustic sounds much though. Sort of hollow sounding, and very "hard" at around 1KHz.

I thought the vocals had a similar problem too. Are you "mastering" this stuff before posting? If so, what are you doing to it exactly?

The mix balance was pretty good though.

Shana, thanks for listening and for the kind words. There's actually a touch of reverb on one of the vocal tracks. I ran a dry vocal track and a verbed vocal track together for the main verses.

Drstawl, Doc, I'm glad you liked it. I'm going to bring up the guitar tone in a second. Sonusman brought up a good point later in the thread.

GT, what's up, bro! I'm printing up certificates for the graduating class. I'm printing them on drum-head skins. Pah. I think I'm going to bring the level down on the bass drum in this song on the next mix. I listened to it just now with my subwoofer and it felt like someone was kicking me in the chest.

rats, thanks for listening. Can you give me a "time" on that awkward part. I think I know which part your talking about, but I'd like to make sure.

sonusman, I'm glad you liked it for the most part. Ah, bro, you've touched on my weakest point... I cannot for the life of me record acoustic guitar... Actually, I would love to just mic my acoustic, but my studio is not a studio... it's in front of my desk and it's freakin' noisey around here... in fact, if you listened to the guitar tracks by themselves, the guitar's built in condensor mic is picking up my son's Nintendo in the background and my toddler yelling for me from upstairs, and one point, I'm telling my wife "Dangit honey, hang on ... I'm recording." My acoustic guitar tone on my 6-string using the built in mic is better for filtering out all the noise (including computer fans - I've got a computer for myself, my wife, and my older son all networked here in front of me - it's like working in a jet engine - I exaggerate)... but that same mic has horrible tone... I do my best to shape it, but I don't know enough about acoustic guit sounds to do a very good job. I know what you mean about the 1khz area... I was afraid if I kill it even a little, that I'd kill the life of the guit sounds... but then that's a novice acoustic recorder talking.... You know what I'd really like to do... I'd like to separate the acoustic tracks out into wav files and post them on x-drive or something and have someone who knows how the shape of the acoustic tone should be take a stab at setting the freqs on the tracks... Would anyone be interested in helping me with this? Or maybe just tell me what freqs you think need to come up / come down ?

Anyway, I just posted a new mix of this song. Should be updated by tomorrow. The new mix is taking care of a few things that were irking me from the beginning... I fixed the vocals a little bit. Hopefully it helped the shape and tone of the vocals so that they fit better (especially in the main verses). I also dropped the level of the kick drum down a little bit.

WAIT!!!

WAIT!!! Sonus/Ed.. check it out... Had some dinner... had an argument with the wife... Had time to meditate... sat down and thought about what you were saying about 1K...

I'm in the process of filtering 1K and a small smiley-face of freqs around it... I'm being subtractive of those freqs... I think this is doing the trick... the tones are much smoother... not so harsh on the attack... SHWEEET!

I'll post it tonight or tomorrow morning...

Thanks for your help, bro...

Save the original to your hard drive so you can do a comparison...

And folks, let me know if you hear anything else that needs fixing...

I'll let you know when the new mix is live.

Thanks!

Okay, the new version is up on the page... with the 1K freq area rolled off of the acoustics... Let me know if this is better.

Thanks!

Great song Teddie... I realize this is after the eq'ing of the original guitar, but I think the guitar is really unique and cool sounding. Great vocal layering too.

Nice. :)

Back