New Singer-Songwriter

AlwaysNew

Hey, everyone! Long-time lurker, but a new poster. I thought I'd give a link to some songs I've recorded so far for an upcoming album. Still tweaking mixes and no mastering at this point obviously, but so far I think things are going well, considering the type of rough-around-the-edges sound and vibe I'm looking for. I'm working digital (Logic Express/POD 2.0/Yamaha Electric Kit) and play all instruments and basically am doing everything myself.

LINK: Always New | Austin, TX | Singer Songwriter / Alternative / Indie Rock | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

I love the overall sound of albums by late 80's and early 90's alternative rock/grunge/punk bands, though I prefer the drums and vocals to be more 'in your face'. I recommend listening with headphones, since the way I pan things means headphones will give you the full/best effect. I want my music to have a similar sound to a band playing these songs in front of you on a small, poorly-lit stage, with bass/lead guitar panned to the left, rhythm guitar on the right, and then drums and vocals dead center.

Anyway, lyrics can be found by clicking 'lyrics' next to each song. Thanks for listening and constructive criticism is welcome!

Life in between sounds really muddy and unintelligible, and the vocal tuning is a bit off in places.
The lack of clarity could be that you're monitoring at quite high levels? If so, you need to back off on the volume because you'll lose all the definition in your mixes.

I listened to Life In Between. I liked the energy in the guitar.

I think a double tracked guitar would sound cool on this. Right now the guitar is a little "small" sounding.

I think the mix could use a stronger low end. A bit more lows in the guitar and a stronger bass.

Vocals are missing an upper mid-range and high end. Sounds pretty boxy. To me the vocals on this song should be screamed. They need tons of energy. Background vocals going "ahhhh" in spots would probably be cool.

Needs work, but could develop into a Ramones-y sort of song.

Back