new rgmi lpr-35 shedding!

ithacadude

I bought 4 reels of this in october (from a good vendor) to use with my 388 and it sheds quite a bit--fairly dry powder, but I'm having to clean up every ten minutes or so. basically can't use it. anyone else have a problem with this tape? i was previously using ATR tape and it was terrific, and sounds better, I feel--but I am worried about the 2 mil thickness, however very unimpressed so far with RGMI...

seems i've heard this before but on another site maybe ~6 months ago.
not good. i've been thinking of ordering some fairly soon.

yeah, it came from USRecordingmedia...

I'm thinking about going back to ATR tape on the 388. I kind of have doubts about the need to only use thin tape. how could it be that much harder on the reel motors? there's 1/3 less tape on the reel, so the mass of a full reel should be similiar...? has anyone ACTUALLY burned up their motors running thicker tape? I would like to hear your thoughts.

If you have a little food weight scale, use it and compare the ATR and RMGI reels. The capstan motor actually feeds / pulls the tape and will work harder with the heavier reel. The ATR tape is heavier / stiffer and thus physically harder to pull and all motors will be affected. Furthermore, the 388 cannot bias up to that high a tape and won't sound right. Go to http://www.quantegy-online.com/456457.html and order some 457. They have over 100 quantity left so plenty to go around.

This sounds familiar. In the beginning I had some issues with RMG and was using ATR but a friend on the forum issued me a recording challenge and was good enough to send me a new tape and I now love the stuff again. Call RMG and talk to Phil Pasky. Let him know your troubles and he should be able to help.

Yeah, I would also recommend contacting pasky at RMGI, philpasky@rmgi-usa.com

Every tape company in the world has had a bad batch now and then. Haven’t heard any bad reports about LPR-35 before, so have them exchange it and give it another shot. ATR is great for many decks, but steer clear of it if you have a machine that recommends 1-mil tape.

Under no circumstances whatsoever would I use ATR on a 388… NEVER!

Back