New Recordings, Opinions Wanted!

mousedadrummer

Junior Engineer
Right so after buying some new bits and bobs for my bedroom studio aggggges ago, my band finally got round to recording some new songs using it!

The new ones our on our myspace now so go to

www.myspace.com/onlyofyouuk

and have a listen, and please tell me what you think and weather i could do anything better. In my own opinion, I think the quality of them is rather good, and is definetly the best we have ever recorded, especially on the 1st song on the player, "Hold On City (Do You Want Love)".

The list of equipment i used in the reocridngs is shown below:

AKG D112
Sennheiser e604
Shure SM57 x2
Rode NT1
Takstar PCM 6100 small diaphram condenser
Cheap JTS dynamic microfone (SM58 copy)
Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire interface
Cubase SX3

New stuff:

Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop 2gb ram
KRK Rocket RP5 monitors
M audio DMP3 preamp

I also used new reocridng techniques that I have not used in any other session such as moving the drums in the room to find the best spot for them, placing amps off the floor and in the best location of the room and recording vocals in a seperate vocal booth away from the control room.

I would appreciate some feedback on the songs!

Cheers

I like it man. Not bad sound quality for doing it out of your bedroom. I don't know if it's just myspace compression...but some of it sounds a bit "muffled"? Do you have anywhere you could upload them, so we can get a direct link and then myspace's compression wouldn't be a factor?

I really like the songs though. Lead singer has a great voice for the type of music. Keep it up, work on your live show, and you'll be all over the place in no time :)

:) cheers man! i think myspace does make the track sound a bit degraded quality wise, errrrrm at the moment you could listen to the tracks on our orange unsigned act profile (its a competition for channel 4 television here in the UK) heres the link:

http://orangeunsignedact.co.uk/acts/only-of-you

There is one more track up the "I Miss Yesterday" Which i think was recorded before i got the new computer and preamp.

You can vote for us on there as well if you like! only take a minute!

Cheers

Yessir, that sounds a LOT better :) Stupid myspace....

The quality on "I Miss Yesterday" is pretty damn good too. I like the acoustic side of Only of You

Keep up the rockin man, if you guys get any more tracks recorded let me know. Keep us updated!

Not really my style of music, but I thought the recording was excellent - especially for a "bedroom demo". The mix is clear and the balance is well done.

In an effort to be constructive, I would encourage your vocalist to work on their performance. There are some pitch issues early on in the song that jumped out at me immediately. It seemed to get better as the song moved along... might ask your vocalist to warm up a little longer before the take. The vocal is the centerpiece of the music, so it needs to be dead-on.

Again, just trying to supply some constructive advice. The technical aspects of the recording were well done.

thanks very much! are there any other pieces of advice anyone could give me to improve the quality of the recording? any new equipment i should think about investing in????

Back