New Recording Setup????

chestwick91

So right now I have a Roland Vs-1880 and I like the little machine but I want to get into more computer based recording. I really want every bit of advice I can get. I was thinking about selling my 1880 and getting some sort of recording interface/daw. I want lots I/O capability and I want to be able to record at least 8 sources simultaneously..(this is because I record computeer music and from my instruments) I don’t have any outboard gear…(yet) that’s why I got the 1880... because of the effects processors…but I figure now that plugins are just as good…I want the daw to be compatible with pro tools/logic/ and so on….i would like it to be compatible with Mackie trackion because that’s what I have but not many seem to be…I originally got it because it’s a vst host…. but now I find it easier and more fun on a computer screen…..i was thinking about the new m-audio project mix…because I basically want to be able to make a recording from beginning to end with all the effects and dynamics in one machine….….any ideas?????

ALSO CAN I ADD A FIREWIRE CARD TO MY PC????

chestwick91 said:
ALSO CAN I ADD A FIREWIRE CARD TO MY PC????

That would depend on your pc, I suppose. got specs?

chestwick91 said:
So right now I have a Roland Vs-1880 and I like the little machine but I want to get into more computer based recording. I really want every bit of advice I can get. I was thinking about selling my 1880 and getting some sort of recording interface/daw. I want lots I/O capability and I want to be able to record at least 8 sources simultaneously..(this is because I record computeer music and from my instruments) I don’t have any outboard gear…(yet) that’s why I got the 1880... because of the effects processors…but I figure now that plugins are just as good…I want the daw to be compatible with pro tools/logic/ and so on….i would like it to be compatible with Mackie trackion because that’s what I have but not many seem to be…I originally got it because it’s a vst host…. but now I find it easier and more fun on a computer screen…..i was thinking about the new m-audio project mix…because I basically want to be able to make a recording from beginning to end with all the effects and dynamics in one machine….….any ideas?????

Not sure if there's a question in there.

jaybriggs84 said:
Pro Tools is only compatible with Pro Tools interfaces

M-Audio hardware will also run a version of protools. Kind of an expensive solution though.

If you've already got Tracktion, an m-audio Delta1010 or delta1010LT will work with that and give you 8 inputs. The nice thing about the m-audio cards is if you do need more inputs you can stack up to 4 of them together in one PC.

However thay are pci, and firewire may be a better and more portable solution. The presonus firepod will give you 8 channels and also work with Tracktion

Keep your Roland if you want any portability and eight simultaneous tracks. I'm currently trying to figure out an in-expensive option to get 8-tracks in and some portability. The options are rather expensive if you go completely DAW-based. I don't know about Roland computer interfaces, but surely they offer some options. Just record the way you're used to, and then dump your tracks into your favorite DAW program. You already have a PC, and you should be able to(with some Roland interface) dump WAV files from your Roland into a favorite DAW program. Audacity is free!

Oh, and yes you can add Firewire. There are pci cards, and pcmcia cards(if your running a laptop). Be sure to look for a Texas Instruments chip (TI) specification on your choice of firewire adapter. This TI chip is mentioned in SO many audio firewire converters that it's crazy not to start out with the right hardware.

Ive' asked everybody...the only roland/computer audio there is is vs-pro and that program can't even have plugins....the only way to do it is to do a two track master....but someguy made a program that converts roland song type to wav...but thats not easy and takes time....
i just want it a little easier....i dont really care if its portable...it's jst for my use

Last edited:
Back