New recording on Tascam 388

thehammondman

Hi all,
I wanted to share a track from my upcoming Big Band EP release, recorded live on a Tascam 388 and mastered to an Otari MX5050. The only other piece of gear used was an Orban 111b spring reverb unit. It was recorded in my living room, using a total of 5 mics. Hope you enjoy, and I gladly welcome any comments.
Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwDlxnKFCQs

Doc

This was really sweet. The performance is phenomenal - love the vocals and their tone. Very nice. My only suggestion is that it seems a little on the wet side. But it was a very enjoyable listen. Bravo! Thanks for sharing.

Is that you singing?

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. My methods were pretty simple for this one:

1 mic on the drums (Shure 55)
1 mic on the piano (SM57 underneath)
1 mic for saxes (seated in a circle around the mic - a Studio Projects CS5)
1 mic for brass (4 trombones/4 trumpets - Rode NT1A)
1 mic for vocal (SM58)
Upright bass went direct

6 channels altogether. Recorded live in a large living room. I used some couches/chairs to separate the different sections of musicians. I tried to record everything as hot as possible, to maximize tape saturation, then mixed it down to the Otari half track, with some reverb from the Orban 111b mixed in. That's about it!

Thanks, guys. My methods were pretty simple for this one:

1 mic on the drums (Shure 55)
1 mic on the piano (SM57 underneath)
1 mic for saxes (seated in a circle around the mic - a Studio Projects CS5)
1 mic for brass (4 trombones/4 trumpets - Rode NT1A)
1 mic for vocal (SM58)
Upright bass went direct

6 channels altogether. Recorded live in a large living room. I used some couches/chairs to separate the different sections of musicians. I tried to record everything as hot as possible, to maximize tape saturation, then mixed it down to the Otari half track, with some reverb from the Orban 111b mixed in. That's about it!

Wow! I'm shocked with the mic listing --- a 57 for the piano and a 58 for the vocal! Excellent job, really.

Was that you singing?

Thanks! Yes, I'm singing and playing piano. The crazy thing is, I used the SM57 underneath the piano, about 12 inches from the soundboard. And then used a couch to block the horns from bleeding into it.

Well, it worked for sure! I love the piano sound, and I love your voice. Sounds great.

San Antonio, huh? We were just down there in March. Loved the Riverwalk. We're just north of Dallas.

Back