New ram for my computer to lower latency?

chestwick91

This may sound stupid, seeing as how i know my computers pretty well, but i just built one, and am looking to put some serious ram in it....but my question is this...i have 8 gb capacity (thought i know vista wont see 8 gb)and can put in up to ddr2-800/667, all the 2gb 800 i see is very pricey. so if i were to put in some very good ram, is there any kind in particular that will help latency timings more then others.... if so what kind would you recomend? Also if i am using some 800 and some 667 will they auto clock? Lets just say if you had four slots to put them in to how would you install them
thanks

Just so you know….i have an Asus P5B SE motherboard with the 2.4ghz core 2 quad ( hope it’s fast enough)

Last edited:
What kind of sound card/interface are you using? And does it have its own ASIO drivers?

And what kind of latency are you getting? Ex: monitoring in real-time with effects on a track...

RAM won't help latency in most cases. First 2 things to check before RAM is drivers on your interface and CPU. But your CPU looks fine.

Well i have the firestudio and yes it has its own drivers....i can't see the latency or buffer cause i have not yet hooked up my firestudio to the new machine but i can tell you that it was bad on my old computer, (2.4ghz pent 4) when i would monitor my drums when i was recording, so bad that i could almost not record the drums right....sucks because drums are my forte and they would sound like crap during playback....Sad thing is, i know its not the firestudio because other people have not had this bad of problem.....i love everything about the firestudio and its expandabilty but would kill for it to lose a little of that latency

I've never used a FireWire interface before so I don't know.

There should be direct monitoring on it though, so you can hear it through the interface before it even gets to the software, which should help with the latency a lot (unless this is what you are already doing). If you are doing this and have latency then I have no idea.

Also, 2GB RAM is more than enough for most people.

Mixing speeds is a no-no. It should automatically scale down to the lowest speed, but I've seen too many motherboards complain about it to recommend it.
Newegg is your friend
Tons of good stuff about that RAM, and I'm going to be ordering 2 GB of it very soon. There are also a lot of similar prices on 2 GB sets, so I don't see what you're talking about with them being pricey.

Edit: plus, it seems as though their customer service department is on the ball. Read the 1 egg reviews and they respond to pretty much every one in a kind and informative manner like a company should. Never noticed that before and I'm pretty damn impressed

Never mix RAM speeds.
It can also often be a bad move to mix RAM types.
The most stable machines I've built have always had just one type of RAM stick in 'em.

This list from the Asus website has the RAM chipsets that they recommend.
http://www.asus.com/999/download/products/1831/1831_10.pdf

Here is a table showing how much RAM is supported by different versions of Windows Vista (from http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...aximum-supported-ram-physical-memory-limit/):
Windows Vista Edition 32-bit (x86) 64-bit (x64)
Windows Vista Ultimate 4 GB 128 GB
Windows Vista Enterprise 4 GB 128 GB
Windows Vista Business 4 GB 128 GB
Windows Vista Home Premium 4 GB 16 GB
Windows Vista Home Basic 4 GB 8 GB
Windows Vista Starter 1 GB N/A

...so unless you are using Windows Vista Starter, 8GB should not be a problem.

Latency comes from the interaction of the soundcard DRIVERS and the OS.

RAM has NOTHING to do with latency....

(If you want lower latency, you need to get a better soundcard.)

everyone is right. but i slightly disagree with RAM not causing latency. obviously a system with a dual core proc and 2GB RAM will perform better than a 1GHz Pentium III and 256MB of RAM, regardless of soundcard. i would actually guess it was your old proc that was causing the latency in recording. but that's just a guess without knowing all your specs and your setup.

Back